I can separate this sentence as

Meine Leistung war genauso schlecht

My performance was just as bad

and

allen anderen

everyone else.

I'm a bit confused by the part

wie die von

I know wie can mean like (similar) but I thought die was a relative pronoun to Leistung and von being of

i.e.

My performance was just as bad like that of everyone else

My performance was just as bad like the performance of everyone else

What is the purpose of die and von? Is this the correct interpretation that I have provided?

• Your right, but I'm a little bit puzzled since German is quite close to Englisch here: as= wie, die= that (backward reference to Leistung), von= of. – guidot Feb 15 at 9:00
  • Your interpretation is absolutely correct. Grammatically "die" is a demonstrative pronoun. One can replace "die" by "diejenige" and "diejenige" is unquestionably a demonstrative pronoun. In fact, I understand "die" as a shortened "diejenige". – Frank from Frankfurt Feb 15 at 12:23

Die stands for die Leistung (as in principle it could be replaced by diejenige). Von is a dative preposition (die Leistung von wem) which is used in colloquial speech. There are quite a number of people who consider this bad style and would replace it by the genitive (wessen Leistung):

Meine Leistung war genauso schlecht wie die aller anderen.

• I agree with you, as a relative pronoun should start a relative clause and there isn't any here. I edited my answer. – Stef Feb 15 at 11:00
  • Here, die ist a demonstrative pronoun. – Björn Friedrich Feb 15 at 11:11
  • @BjörnFriedrich "Die" can theoretically be either a demonstrative pronoun (replace it with diejenige) or simply an elision (replace it with die Leistung) – PiedPiper Feb 15 at 12:19

You can translate "wie" as "as" here. The second "die" just refers to the first one (not it's not a relative pronoun here) . We could just as easily repeat Leistung:

Meine Leistung war genauso schlecht wie die von allen anderen
(my performance was just as bad as that of everyone else)

could be written as

Meine Leistung war genauso schlecht wie die Leistung von allen anderen
(my performance was just as bad as the performance of everyone else)

Note: as another poster pointed out using "von" with the dative is considered bad style and the genitive would be preferred

Meine Leistung war genauso schlecht wie die aller anderen
(my performance was just as bad as everyone else's)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.