I want to convert these two sentences from preterite into perfect.

1) Meine Frau und ich wollten Geschenke für meine Familie in Brasilien kaufen.

2) Weil ich ein bestimmtes Buch nicht finden konnte, ging ich zur Information.

For 1) I searched and found a posting. Then I wrote this; but I'm not sure if it is correct:

Meine Frau und ich wollen Geschenke für meine Familie in Brasilien gekauft haben.

For 2) I searched and pondered; but I gave up. I'll appreciate if someone could explain to me.

Your examples need to use a tool that is called Ersatzinfinitiv (Substitute infinitive). This is used when you actually want to form the participle of a modal verb or some special verbs like brauchen, heißen, lassen, sehen, hören, fühlen, helfen, and the sentence already uses an infinitive construction (in your examples "kaufen" and "finden"). The participle of the modal verb is then substituted by an infinitive.

What you want to build would look like (if you strictly follow the rules of forming perfect tense)

Meine Frau und ich haben Geschenke für meine Familie in Brasilien kaufen gewollt.

and

Weil ich ein bestimmtes Buch nicht habe finden gekonnt, bin ich zur Information gegangen.

Which are, unfortunately, wrong. The tool is that the participle of the modal verb needs to be replaced by its infinitive - Your sentences should end up like

Meine Frau und ich haben Geschenke für meine Familie in Brasilien kaufen wollen.

Weil ich ein bestimmtes Buch nicht habe finden können, bin ich zur Information gegangen.

Tofro's answer is correct. In addition, your sentence

Meine Frau und ich wollen Geschenke für meine Familie in Brasilien gekauft haben.

is grammatically correct, but it means a different thing:

My wife and I pretend to have bought presents for my family in Brazil.

That is because the will … haben and will … sein have this additional special meaning.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.