Wiktionary tells me that nach is dative when used as a postposition i.e.

meiner Meinung nach ― in my opinion

i.e. nach = according to.

I thought this makes sense but when I looked at

Meines Wissens nach

I realised that meines is not in the dative

Why is this the case?

Because meines Wissens nach ist not correct. It should be nach meinem Wissen (dative) or meines Wissens (genitive, without nach). – Björn Friedrich Mar 3 at 17:59
    @HubertSchölnast Bitte denken Sie daran, dass wir englisch gestellte Fragen nicht als Duplikate deutsch gestellter Fragen ansehen und umgekehrt. – Björn Friedrich Mar 3 at 18:41
    Technically not a duplicate, because the other question is in German. – Carsten S Mar 3 at 18:42
    my question is in English, not German, so how can this question be a duplicate? – vik1245 Mar 3 at 18:58

As mentioned in the comments this question is already asked in German so this is only a translation or transcription resp. of the accepted answer to this question for the sake of completeness.

The term "meines Wissens nach" is simply wrong. The expression "meines Wissens" ("as far as I know") is used without the preposition "nach".

The preposition "nach" is used with similar terms like "meiner Meinung nach", "dem Vernehmen nach", "meinem Gefühl nach" or "seinem Urteil nach". And here nach requires the dative.

But the expressions "meines Wissens" or "meines Erachtens" (without "nach") use the genitive of "Wissen" and "Erachten" resp.

So harshly said "meines Wissens nach" is simply wrong.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.