I am having the Mac German speech synthesizer Markus speak lyrics to a song. I find his accent charming. The lyrics are in English.

For this endeavor, one types text and then passes them to the speech engine which then speaks them.

I am struggling to figure out how to get Markus to make the English sound "ch" as in "chubby". It is obviously not just "ch" which comes out as a sort of k. It comes out Qbee. I have tried the ü but that does not come out as the soft u either.

How would you write "chubby" in German? How can I get Markus to make it?

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this is not a question about German language. It is about configuring some software. – Hubert Schölnast Mar 3 at 18:24
    "Tschabbi" should come close. – tofro Mar 3 at 18:31
    @HubertSchölnast - it is a question about a sound that occurs in English, and whether that sound occurs in German. The software piece was added for context so the motivation behind the question is understood. I found a fair bit written about the converse - the sound "ch" represents in German apparently does not occur in English. – Willk Mar 3 at 20:11
    The close reason is wrong. The question is how close you can come to the pronunciation of chubby using only German sounds and how such a German word would be spelled. – Carsten S Mar 3 at 20:11
    @Hubert "How would you write 'chubby' in German" is a clear enough question. – Christian Geiselmann Mar 4 at 11:25

"Tschabbi" should come close. I have asked Markus to say that and it sounded acceptable to my ears.

I don’t understand the low quality flag. This is exactly the answer to the question. I can’t think of any better way to spell a word that fits the sound of the English chubby (i.e. that emulates the sound chubby when read according to German spelling pronunciation). – Philipp Mar 14 at 12:18
    @Philipp would actually expect longer, more detailed answers in SE myself - So I can partially understand the flag. In this specific answer, however, there isn't much more to say without starting to babble.... – tofro Mar 14 at 13:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.