I ran across the following sentence today:

Anschließend können die Unterlagen per Post an XXX (Musterallee 1, 10101 Berlin) versendet oder persönlich im Büro während der Sprechzeiten eingereicht werden.

I would have intuitively added werden after versendet, even if it's mostly clear from the context and from its presence at the end of the second clause. As I'm not a native speaker I'd like to confirm my inkling and find out whether the original sentence is correct as-is (meaning it's OK to omit werden in the first instance), or if it's mandatory that werden appears at the end of both clauses.

Thanks in advance!

It's not mandatory and in fact, dropping all occurences of the same words at the same positions inside complicated lists is considered good style.

The tricky part is, there are are two alternatives which item has all the words listed and which has omissions.

Er hat es kommen sehen können und (er hat (es (kommen (sehen)))) müssen.

Sie wollte erst nichts (darüber erfahren), dann doch aber alles darüber erfahren.

The former sentence must have the omitted parts in the second item because the predicate of the first part would be misleading otherwise – Er hat es können und (er hat es) kommen sehen müssen. is a valid sentence with a different meaning.

In contrary, the latter sentence works either way and it's a matter of emphasis whether you omit the first or the second installment of darüber erfahren:

Sie wollte erst nichts darüber erfahren, dann doch aber alles.

puts emphasis on alles instead of erfahren and sounds much snappier.

|improve this answer|||||
    Interestingly, contrary to the original sentence, verbs are stated explicitly in the first clause in your example, and omitted in the second. – user19407 Mar 5 '19 at 13:26
  • Often both variants are possible. I've edited my answer. – Janka Mar 5 '19 at 13:52
  • The brackets around "sehen" are incorrect, I believe ("... und er hat es kommen müssen" does not work). Otherwise excellent example. – Peter - Reinstate Monica Mar 5 '19 at 15:22
  • @PeterA.Schneider I think it's the opposite, the parts could be added from the inner bracket outwards: ... und sehen müssen, .. und kommen sehen müssen, ... und es kommen sehen müssen -- all seem correct. Not sure how to best depict that. – KWeiss Mar 5 '19 at 16:13
  • ... und ((((er) hat) es) ((kommen) sehen)) müssen. Perhaps. Probably we need a regular expression with alternatives. – Peter - Reinstate Monica Mar 5 '19 at 22:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.