I looked it up but couldn't come up with some explanation that I felt comfortable with.

closed as off-topic by guidot, Hubert Schölnast, Björn Friedrich, Eller, πάντα ῥεῖ Mar 11 at 17:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – guidot, Hubert Schölnast, Björn Friedrich, Eller, πάντα ῥεῖ
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Hey and welcome. As these two words have little in common you should provide an example to clear up your question. Or as said in the tour: Focus on questions about an actual problem you have faced. Include details about what you have tried and exactly what you are trying to do. :) – mtwde Mar 11 at 12:21
    Actually the meaning of these words is so different, I can't imagine a scenario where they come even close. – guidot Mar 11 at 12:25
    @guidot Yes, you can: "Wir wollen ein neues Unternehmen am Markt einführen." vs "Wir wollen ein neues Unternehmen gründen." Both sentences say more or less the same. But I admit this is a very specific situation. – Christian Geiselmann Mar 11 at 12:36

"Einführen" means introducing something into a context, where it wasn't present or known before. Either physically (putting a key into a lock) or as concept (introducing an idea into a discussion).

"Gründen" means creating/founding something that did not exist before. Either physically (building) or as a concept (company).

The words also give you a significant hint on the inherent meaning: "Einführen" consists of the words "Ein" (into) and "führen" (lead). Which is why i used Intro-Duce (~lead into) as a translation.

"Gründen" is the verbalized form of the noun "Grund" (~foundation or ~reason).

• I've never heard the phrase "Ich gründe ein Haus." Can you specify an example sentence? Might this be a regional use? – infinitezero Mar 12 at 14:37
  • @infinitezero: You are right, what i tried to hint at is very close to creating a concept: "eine Stadt gründen", "eine Familie gründen", "einen Hausstand gründen", "eine Existenz gründen". However, "Gründung" is actually a stage of construction, so maybe there is a verb for the process as well: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%BCndung_(Bauwesen) – BestGuess Mar 12 at 15:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.