I looked it up but couldn't come up with some explanation that I felt comfortable with.

Hey and welcome. As these two words have little in common you should provide an example to clear up your question. Or as said in the tour: Focus on questions about an actual problem you have faced. Include details about what you have tried and exactly what you are trying to do. :)
    – mtwde
    Mar 11, 2019 at 12:21
    Actually the meaning of these words is so different, I can't imagine a scenario where they come even close.
    – guidot
    Mar 11, 2019 at 12:25
    @guidot Yes, you can: "Wir wollen ein neues Unternehmen am Markt einführen." vs "Wir wollen ein neues Unternehmen gründen." Both sentences say more or less the same. But I admit this is a very specific situation. Mar 11, 2019 at 12:36

1 Answer 1

"Einführen" means introducing something into a context, where it wasn't present or known before. Either physically (putting a key into a lock) or as concept (introducing an idea into a discussion).

"Gründen" means creating/founding something that did not exist before. Either physically (building) or as a concept (company).

The words also give you a significant hint on the inherent meaning: "Einführen" consists of the words "Ein" (into) and "führen" (lead). Which is why i used Intro-Duce (~lead into) as a translation.

"Gründen" is the verbalized form of the noun "Grund" (~foundation or ~reason).

• I've never heard the phrase "Ich gründe ein Haus." Can you specify an example sentence? Might this be a regional use? Mar 12, 2019 at 14:37
  • @infinitezero: You are right, what i tried to hint at is very close to creating a concept: "eine Stadt gründen", "eine Familie gründen", "einen Hausstand gründen", "eine Existenz gründen". However, "Gründung" is actually a stage of construction, so maybe there is a verb for the process as well: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%BCndung_(Bauwesen)
    – BestGuess
    Mar 12, 2019 at 15:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.