I am trying to translate this sentence, but I can't figure out how to:

The doorkeeper said that even if he were able to enter, he would have found himself facing two other doorkeepers, one stronger than the other.

closed as off-topic by Volker Landgraf, Robert, peterh, Björn Friedrich, PiedPiper Mar 15 at 23:56

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "German Language SE is for specific questions of general interest and to help you learn and understand. Thus, requests for proofreading, spell checking or translations of individual texts are not a good fit here. If you can, please narrow down your question to a single specific source of concern. See this post on Meta for more information." – Volker Landgraf, Robert, peterh, Björn Friedrich, PiedPiper
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Your task is tricky.

The doorkeeper said

This part introduces indirect speech, which requires Konjunktiv I in German.

that even if he were able to enter

he would have found himself facing two other doorkeepers,one stronger than the other.

These parts in contrary are counterfactual speech which requires Konjunktiv II in German. Lucky for you, Konjunktiv II beats Konjunktiv I. So the answer is simple:

Der Türsteher hat gesagt, selbst wenn er sich hätte Zugang verschaffen können, hätte er sich zwei anderen Türstehern gegenüber gesehen, einer stärker als der andere.

The phrase sich Zugang verschaffen is more stylish than eintreten. The first hätte leads the row of infinitives, that's a word order exception. The second hätte is in second position, with the previous clause in first position.

And no, no one –really no one– expects C2 speakers to be able to construct such a sentence. This is what you will find in well-written literature.

• Bemerkung am Rande: Die Situation erinnert stark an Kafkas 'Vor dem Gesetz' (gutenberg.spiegel.de/buch/erzahlungen-i-9763/16) - mal die ersten ca. 10 Zeilen lesen... – Ralf Joerres Mar 16 at 9:49
  • Der Konjunktiv umklammerte Franz. Es wäre ihm möglich gewesen, sich aus dieser unheilvollen Beziehung zu befreien, hätte er die Traumwelten nie betreten, von denen man nachher sagen würde, sie haben ihn den Verstand gekostet. – Janka Mar 16 at 13:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.