What is a German expression for sound understanding as in:

Do you have a 'sound understanding' of Software Architecture and Artifical Intelligence?

closed as off-topic by Arsak, Iris, user unknown, Wrzlprmft Mar 20 at 6:35

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave these specific reasons:

• "This question seems to only require expertise of a language other than German. Please edit your question to clarify where you need expertise of the German language or ask on a site about the other language. For help in doing so, see Does my translation request belong here and if not, where and how shall I ask it?" – Wrzlprmft
  • "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Arsak, Iris, user unknown
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Could you please add, in what way your dictionary wasn't helpful? Is it the usage of sound as an adjective, instead of a noun? Or something else maybe? – Arsak Mar 19 at 12:37
    deepl.com/translator#en/de/… – Iris Mar 19 at 12:43
    The English word sound has to be translated as tief here. Don't be confused, it doesn't mean low here but deep. – Janka Mar 19 at 13:01
  • @Storm, you don't need to accept the first answer. It's usually better to wait a bit and see which answer get's the most upvotes. – Iris Mar 19 at 14:05
  • I don't know what sound is supposed to mean in English in this case. For some reason the word "sund" in Swedish rings me a bell, but it means more like "healthy". Do you mean healthy? – mathreadler Mar 19 at 20:25

As Janka in his/her comment stated, "tief" (im Sinne von vertiefen) would be the best translation here. So a sound understanding translates to "ein tiefes Verständnis". Alternatively weitreichend, zuverlässig, erfahren, erprobt or versiert could be used.

The adjective sound in this context could translate as any of the following:

solide, gut, sicher, gründlich, fundiert; umfassend, umfangreich, tiefschürfend; breit gefächert

In the context of job applications, there are often subtle distinctions that are only discernible to those working in human relations. Not being privy to that, I find it hard to estimate what level of competence is indicated by sound; if it is on the lower end of the spectrum, solide would fit, if it is on the higher end, umfangreich. Breit gefächert suggests breadth of knowledge.

Although understanding literally means Verständnis, I feel that in the context of a job application, it could also be Kenntnisse.

Haben Sie solide, gründliche, fundierte Kenntnisse in Bezug auf Softwareentwicklung und Künstliche Intelligenz?

Having written all that by hand, I see that the following website automatically generates, at least in this case, a pretty good overview regarding possible translations: link.

A dictionary from google search tells me sound means

"in good condition; not damaged, injured, or diseased. "they returned safe and sound"

Cognate to swedish "sund". In german, I would go with "gesund".

Same dictionary even claims "sound" likely comes from old-english "gesund" (same word as today's german!?).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.