I've encountered the following sentence spoken from man to a woman (probably wife):

Jetzt reg dich doch nicht auf. Das Bisschen, es ist halb so wild!

I know that it means.

Don't you be mad. ???, it is not so bad!

I know also that the "Bisschen" means "a little" e.g. (a classic one)

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

which is translated to:

I speak German a little.

Is it some kind of a name that you are giving to the beloved one?

• It simply means "Oh, that little bit", i.e. it tries to downplay the size of what bothered the other. – Rudy Velthuis Mar 22 at 7:44

No. Caps in German mean some word is made into a substantive. They don't mean some word is a proper noun as in English.

das Bisschen

the small amount/this small amount

The das in your example is used as a demonstrative pronoun. It refers to the small amount of something not mentioned in your example, which isn't a reason to get angry. By the way, the phrase

halb so wild

means

no reason to get angry

in reality.

• The sentence comes from the sketch youtube.com/watch?v=KYK7BvRHfL8 . The guy is pissing in the garden. So your answer means that it means. "A little amount (in this context a piss in the garden) is no reason to get angry" ? – Kamil Stadryniak Mar 21 at 13:58
    Correct. That's why it is always repeated throughout the sketch. – Janka Mar 21 at 14:02
  • Also danke schön :) – Kamil Stadryniak Mar 21 at 14:05
    It might have been intended as a pun bisschen vs. Piss-chen; in some dialects the difference can't hardly be heard. – guidot Mar 21 at 14:31
  • A little amount? What is wrong with the literal translation a little bit? – Rudy Velthuis Mar 21 at 17:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.