In the German language articles and pronouns look similar, e.g. "sie"/"die","er"/"der". Are the letter "e" in the word "es" and the letter "a" in the word "das" a sound shift, by analogy with denken -> dachte?

• I don't think so: If this was the case, you could not explain why the word is "sie" and not "ie". – Martin Rosenau Mar 26 at 14:16
    In some dialects, people say in fact des instead of das. – Janka Mar 26 at 21:18
  • Others say dit "das", correlating perhaps not just by chance with English it. – vectory Mar 27 at 16:38

Das Wort »er« ist nicht mit »der« verwandt, wohl aber sind »er« und »es« Geschwister.

er, es

Die deutschen Pronomen »er« und »es« aber auch das englische »it« und auch das niederdeutsche »et« sind verwandt mit dem altindischen »idam« (deutsch: »es«) und dem lateinischen »id« (»derjenige, dieser«) und dem ebenfalls lateinischen »is« (»dasjenige, dieses«)

Andere Formen sind:

• Mittelhochdeutsch: er, eʒ
  • Altsächsisch: it (für beide Geschlechter)
  • Althochdeutsch: ir, er bzw. iʒ, eʒ
  • Altgotisch: is (=»er«) und ita (=»es«)
  • Litauisch: jis (für beide Geschlechter)
  • Altirisch: ē (=»er«)

sie

• Gotisch: si
  • Althochdeutsch: sī̌
  • Altsächsisch: thiu, siu, sia

die

• Althochdeutsch: thiu
  • Altsächsisch: thie
  • Mittelniederländisch: diu

der

• Althochdeutsch: ther
  • Altsächsisch: thē̌
  • Mittelniederländisch:

No, in the standard German language you really differ between "e" and "a".

For example:

1. lenken (to steer/to direct) -> lenkte
  2. senken (to reduce) -> senkte

But in some dialects (bavarian for example) you really could say "des" instead if "das". So you can keep that as mnemonic for "es->"das" if you think of Bavarians ^^

• vowel alternation, like in "sinkt, sank, gesunken" or En. "drink, drank, drunk", is an old Germanic feature. There are different 3-way series that I don't recall exactly. You cannot just say "No", lol. – vectory Mar 27 at 16:42
  • Well, I understood his question als a way of asking "Is it a general rule"... And in that case the answer is No (because... And you delivered the evidence yourselfe... It just isn´t. – luki Mar 28 at 7:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.