A friend wrote me a letter, asking me how he should learn French, he was so confused and overwhelmed as he asked a lot of questions. Does this expression make sense, or in other words, does it fit in this context?

• Ich verstehe warum du so verwirrt bist, denn ich habe auch so etwas erlebt.

I wanted to use this expression as an introduction in the letter. Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

• @Janka Do you think überfordert also fits in this context? – user32804 Apr 5 at 23:01
    Yes, sure. You should think about the difference between überfordert and so überfordert though. – Janka Apr 5 at 23:03

Your sentence is completely right. But I would say something like:

"Ich kann gut nachvollziehen, warum du so verwirrt bist. Ich habe so etwas auch schon erlebt."

Could you explain, why you would split the sentence and use nachvollziehen können instead of verstehen? – Arsak Apr 6 at 4:11
    @Arsak It is simply a choice of style. It sounds a bit more "typical German", i.e. when speaking about how educated native speakers would express themselves in a written letter. In oral communication it is different. In oral communication it could be as short as: Ja klar. Das kenn' ich. – Christian Geiselmann Apr 6 at 10:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.