I saw somewhere the following quote:

Wandel und Wechsel liebt, wer lebt.

What is the best way to translate this quote into English? My attempt:

Who lives, likes change and abrupt change.

Using the same noun for both translations is grating, even with a qualifier. Since Wandel is gradual and Wechsel instantaneous, you want terms like "transitions and reverses" instead. – Kilian Foth Apr 19 at 20:14

Evolution and revolution are loved by those, who live.

• Very nice that you pick the formal "poetic" feature (anaphora) and find a translation which also contains a formal poetic feature (rhyme)! Would give +5 for that, if it was possible. – jonathan.scholbach Apr 19 at 23:25
    Maybe Janka's "loves who lives" would fit nicely here too – jonathan.scholbach Apr 19 at 23:26
  • @jonathan.scholbach: Vielleicht entscheidet sich Janka ja noch, was sie als Kommentar gepostet hat in eine Antwort umzuwandeln. – user unknown Apr 20 at 2:59
  • Evolution and revolution loves who lives.
  • Evolution and revolution loves he who lives.
  • Evolution and revolution love they who live.

Personally, I find the prosody with a personal pronoun better.

... love they who live... – jonathan.scholbach Apr 20 at 7:12
  • I am not sure, but I think, using plural is a standard in English when talking about a person whose gender is unknown. It is even used when there is definitely only one person. But I don't know if the use is limited to the academic domain. – jonathan.scholbach Apr 20 at 7:23
  • There are many idioms with he who. dict.cc/?s=he+who – Björn Friedrich Apr 20 at 7:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.