It is common in mathematics in English to use the words assume and suppose differently, that is, to use the word assume when dealing with a reduction or case, while using the word suppose when looking for a contradiction. For example, one may use the phrases "Thus, it can be assumed that..." and "For the sake of contradiction, suppose that... ."

I have seen the word angenommen used in mathematics in German, but I am not sure whether it encompasses what both assume and suppose mean in English or not. Does it? Or is there another word that is also used?

I am aware of the words annehmen and ausgegangen, but I have not seen them in mathematical texts before.

Let's assume p is a prime.

Setzen wir voraus, p sei prim.

Let's suppose p is a prime.

Nehmen wir an, p sei prim.

Voraussetzen is much stronger than annehmen.

Nehmen Sie etwa an, wir hätten viel Geld? — Das setze ich voraus, sonst wären Sie doch gar nicht hier.

| improve this answer | |
  • Is there a way to use these without a pronoun while remaining formal? – Schroder Apr 23 '19 at 19:26
    @Schroder Yes, by using the participle: Angenommen, p ist prim and Vorausgesetzt, p sei prim – jonathan.scholbach Apr 23 '19 at 20:18

One common phrase in mathematics (I think, it is the standard phrase) is

Sei X ...

which is the translation of

Let X be ...

| improve this answer | |
    You are right, there is also a third common phrase. How does assume and suppose fit in with their translation? – Shegit Brahm Apr 24 '19 at 13:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.