I'm trying to understand sentences formualted with "etw. gelangt zu Wort" or "die Dinge gelangen zu Wort". These are:

Es gilt vielen als philosophisch wertloses Kompilat, weil allerdings viele Denkrichtungen in ihm gleichzeitig zu Wort gelangen.

or

Als geschliffener Autor und begnadeter Polemiker wird Debussy auch selbst zu Wort gelangen.

Does it mean similar to "zu Wort kommen"? It seems to me that it might mean little different than that. What does it then mean exactly?

zu Wort gelangen is not a common phrase. Could you provide more context for the first sentence? – jonathan.scholbach Apr 30 at 11:34
  • The first passage is, "Es gilt vielen als philosophisch wertloses Kompilat, weil allerdings viele Denkrichtungen in ihm gleichzeitig zu Wort gelangen." – K. Park Apr 30 at 12:00
  • gelangento reach – Janka Apr 30 at 17:18

It means "to have a say", i.e. to have the opportunity of talking.

That’s how I would understand it too, confirming the OP’s suspicion that it’s a synonym for »zu Wort kommen«. – Raketenolli May 2 at 11:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.