Here is a Hessian rhyme, probably about drinking:

trinke mer noch en schobbe von dem schöne göddertrobbe!

Hoch de Humbe, Nachbar stumbe, kurz gewunge, Humbe Pumbe!

I've had a stab at translating it:

Drinken wir noch einen something aus dem schönen something!

Hoch [mit dem] something (or possibly erhöhen wir den something?)

something to do with your neighbour, some nonsense syllables?

Can anyone shed any more light on what göddertrobbe in particular is?

Schobbe is Hessian for Schoppen which means pint. Schobbe is also a synonym for the Äppelwoi, the Hessian apple wine.

Göddertrobbe is Hessian dialect and would be called Göttertropfen in standard German. (I am not familiar with Hessian, but I assume, it is actually Gödderdrobbe - with the t softened to d as well). That translates literally as god's drop, or drop of the gods into English. Tropfen is a very common metaphor for a precious drink. The composite Göttertropfen either means drink fit for gods or drink made by gods, or, more general, a drink which is somehow related to gods, vulgo divine.

De Humbe would be der Humpen (singular) or die Humpen (plural) in standard German, the tankard in English. Hoch de Humbe! means Lift the tankards!.

stumbe is Hessian and means to poke.

gewunge is gewunken in standard German, i.e. the participle of winken, English: to wave. kurz gewunge is a form to impress an imperative here, so it translates to quickly wave!

Humbe pumbe surely is Humpen pumpen in standard German, but the meaning is not very clear to me. pumpen means to pump. I assume it is a demand to empty the tankards. Then the sequence of imperatives would demand a sequence of actions: Lift your tankard, poke your neighbour, wave quickly and empty the tankard.

I think it should be mentioned that "Tropfen" refers to drink here, and that the reference to gods should be read as "fit for gods". – Carsten S Apr 30 at 13:30
  • @jonathan.scholbach I would phrase it as follows: "Gödder" (or "Götter" in standard German) is here to express high quality and high valuation. In so far it is a poetic synonym of "Super", "Mega", "Hyper", "Granaten" and so on. – Christian Geiselmann Apr 30 at 13:55
  • Only one thing missing: "stumben" (or unsoftened "stumpen") means to shove or to poke. Humbe Pumpe seems to be nonsense. (If it's "Humbe pumpe", it could - IMHO - be translated as "raise/stem (your) tankards". "pumpe" would come from weightlifting) – Frank from Frankfurt Apr 30 at 14:21

jonathan already explained the words, because of that I won't explain them again. Also I'm not sure if these are two separate rhymes combined together.

Well, at least the second one is quite common. There is also a Hessian carnival society called "Sackschdoahogger" and it's like their official drinking motto. This is how they explain it:

Hoch de Humbe

Nochber stumbe

korz gewunke

Humbe bumbe

is their official toast when drinking alcohol.

And this is what to do (link)

Get a glas full of alcohol

Lift the glas (hoch de Humbe),

nudge your neighbor (softly) (Nochber stumbe),

wave at everybody in the room (korz gewunke)

drink from your glas (Humbe bumbe). Empty it, if possible.

And if you still don't know what to do: Here is a video

Of course a Humbe/Humpen is more like a tankard than a glass but well ... we live in modern times.

• Ah, the video makes clear that it is Nachbar gstumbe! Thanks – jonathan.scholbach Apr 30 at 17:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.