Was sind die Vorteile?

When I hear the German speaker speak this sentence, it sounds as if he is putting an s at the end of sind, as in

Was sinds die Vorteile?

Am I hearing this correctly? If so, is there a rule that governs the addition of this s sound?

From which dialect region is the German speaker? – Carsten S May 3 '19 at 0:02
    This isn't anything systematic. It is pronunciation mistake or speech defect of an individual. – Christian Geiselmann May 3 '19 at 9:59
    @ChristianGeiselmann Or the phonology of OP's native language is playing tricks upon him. I can see how hearing [sint] instead of [sind] could trick you into hearing [sinds]. – sgf May 5 '19 at 13:57

There is no s-sound after sind in Standard German. Depending on what your native language is, you might be confused by Auslautverhärtung (final obstruent devoicing). The letter d is pronounced as t at the end of a syllable; and t can be more or less strongly aspirated, yielding [zɪntʰ]. The aspiration is clearly audible in the following to examples:

• Wiktionary's pronunciation of sind [zɪntʰ]

• Geld regiert die Welt [gɛltʰ ʁeˈgi:ɐ̯tʰ di: vɛltʰ] in this video

| improve this answer | |
  • But if that was the case, the example would in the same way have to write Vortseile. Also, aspiration of the allophone is much less likely if followed by another dental, because contraction might be preferable in that case (i.e. wassin'die Vorteile). Although, the aspiration might be especially notable if avoiding the contraction (e.g. theatrical actors speech might be transcribed with.*was sinthe die ...*, I guess). This careful pronunciation might be affected too, involuntary, if talking to a foreign speaker. In any case, it would be easier to ask the speaker?! – vectory May 5 '19 at 20:01

This is not standard German. But in large parts of Bavaria to many verb this s is added when spoken. This applies mostly to the second person plural and questions:
"Gehts ihr heut noch in die Stadt?"
"Seids ihr morgen dabei?"

Which is absolutely not happening in 3rd person, only in second. – tofro May 3 '19 at 7:45
    In German as well as in English it's written Standard. It has nothing to do with Standarte ;) wortwuchs.net/standart-standard – infinitezero May 3 '19 at 9:13
  • "This applies mostly to the second case plural and questions" - are you sure that isn't a subjective impression because that's a constellation that occurs very often in spoken language? Or, asked the other way round: Does "Die sans doch gestern gar net dabeigwesn!" sound unnatural? – O. R. Mapper May 3 '19 at 9:56
    @O.R.Mapper it must be without s: "De san doch...", but in 2pl "Ehs sads doch..." – rexkogitans May 3 '19 at 16:48
    Bavaria is huge. Exceptions might prove the rule. hypercorrection might happen, for example. – vectory May 5 '19 at 19:53

It could be that the speaker said es and then, after the pause, specified what is meant by es:

Was sind's ... die Vorteile?

At least in regions where Bavarian is spoken, this might be s' for sie. The standard version of the sentence would then be:

Was sind sie, die Vorteile?

But that would require a very specific vernacular in between dialect and standard, since fully dialect wouldn't be "Was sinds" but "Wos sans".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy