Are there any instances where "gegen" and "gegenüber" mean the same thing?

closed as off-topic by Björn Friedrich, Glorfindel, πάντα ῥεῖ, help-info.de, Robert May 15 at 18:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Björn Friedrich, Glorfindel, πάντα ῥεῖ, help-info.de, Robert
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I know of one instance where they can be used more or less interchangably:

"Eine Forderung gegen jemanden haben" is an idiomatic way of saying "to have a claim against someone."

"Eine Forderung gegenüber jemandem haben" is slightly less idiomatic, but still correct German.

But this is just a coincidence: It's the only instance I can think of where "gegen" is the more or less meaningless preposition associated with a noun (rather than, say, a meaningful preposition denoting a direction or something like that), and "gegenüber" can pretty much always stand in as that sort of preposition, especially when the most idiomatic usage is mostly known to professionals.

I should also add that I'm not convinced that they "mean the same thing" here, since they are both more or less meaningless in this context. (Is nothing a thing? Do two things that mean nothing mean the same thing?)

• Hätte meinen gelöschten Post erst kommentieren ("Danke, sgf, aber Dein Gegenbeispiel widerlegt mich."), dann löschen sollen. :) – user unknown May 15 at 13:44
  • @userunknown Wie gesagt, ich bin mir gar nicht so sicher, wie sehr ich hier widerlege. Kann man hier wirklich von einer eigenen Bedeutung von "gegen" und "gegenüber" sprechen? Sollte man nicht eher sagen, dass "gegen" hier die Funktion hat, das Objekt der Forderungen zu bezeichnen, und "gegenüber" eine generelle Funktion hat, den zweiten Teil einer Relation zu bezeichnen? – sgf May 15 at 13:46
  • @userunknown Aber das ist das Tückische an Allaussagen, dass ein einziges (zufälliges) Gegenbeispiel reicht, um sie zu widerlegen. – sgf May 15 at 13:47
  • Das war mir bewusst, als ich geantwortet habe, aber mir ist kein Beispiel eingefallen und ich dachte, so ein Schuss aus der Hüfte provoziert sicher manche, mich zu widerlegen. :) – user unknown May 16 at 1:32
  • @userunknown :) Tatsächlich hätte ich mir sonst womöglich gar nicht die Mühe gemacht. – sgf May 16 at 7:44

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.