I tried youtube, to understand the sound but am unable to distinguish among the two. Any help would be appreciated.

• You have to post the links to the videos (links to the moment in question, please). The s varies a lot depending on dialect. – Janka May 15 at 1:47
  • Please check this video, he explains it pretty well: youtube.com/watch?v=hpfznEvimLc – Janka May 15 at 1:51
  • Although the video might be confusing once he starts talking about dialects – infinitezero May 15 at 7:57
    Are you familiar with spoken English? The sound that “z” makes in English, e.g. in zoom, is a »stimmhaftes s«, because your vocal chords are actually involved in making that sounds (hence »stimmhaft«), whereas the sound that “s” makes, e.g. in some, is a »stimmloses s«, which is just the hissing sound without your vocal chords doing anything. – Raketenolli May 15 at 8:45
    @akshitbhatia Okay, then Reketenolli's advice suits you. It is the difference of z in zoom vis à vis s in sound. – Christian Geiselmann May 16 at 10:38

Since you asked in English, I'll assume you are familiar with English pronunciation. The English words for "stimmlos/stimmhaft" are "unvoiced/voiced". The English voiced "s" is generally written as "z", if you pronounce it you should feel a vibration in your throat.
Pairs of English words with unvoiced/voiced "s" are:

• sue - zoo
  • see - zee
  • sink - zinc

German has the same unvoiced/voiced "s" ("s" can be either voiced or unvoiced, "ss" or "ß" is always unvoiced). The usage is different (and dialect dependent) , but that has been covered elsewhere on this site: Wann wird das stimmhafte "s" gesprochen?

• Might be worth adding that it's never voiced in the end of a word or before a voiceless consonant. – sgf May 15 at 13:12
  • Okay. Thanks for relating this to english. Now I can better relate the stimmhafte alphabets in english and german. Great explaination. – akshit bhatia May 15 at 16:57
  • Nice minimal pairs! – Christian Geiselmann May 16 at 10:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.