Aber genau in solchen Situationen muss man einfach durchpowern!

In conversation, I just heard this said in a context where my friend, the speaker, was fighting the urge to doze off after a long day at work.

Is it an anglicism or a slang word, as I can't seem to find it in several dictionaries? If so, how is this expression commonly paraphrased into something more standard?

• sounds like a contamination of durchkämpfen and auspowern – Loong May 18 at 14:46

This seems like a loan translation of English power through "to continue in a strong and determined way until the end of something, even when this is difficult" (Cambridge Dictionary). Duden actually has powern as a verb, so particle verbs based on it are to be expected.

As a replacement, I would suggest combining two figures of speech:

Aber genau in solchen Situationen muß man einfach die Zähne zusammenbeißen und nochmal Gas geben!

Loong mentioned auspowern in a comment. I know this verb with the meaning "sich verausgaben", with powern pronounced in the English manner [paʊ̯ɐn]. However, Duden has a verb auspowern with the meaning "ausbeuten", with powern pronouned [poːvɐn], which I have never heard.

Das deutsch ausgesprochene "auspowern" kommt von frz. pauvre, arm: duden.de/rechtschreibung/power. -ower* ist selten, möglicherweise nur in Lehnwörtern, wie in "ausbaldowern" aus Rotwelsch. – dlatikay May 19 at 5:06
  • it's quite certainly a loan translation as you describe. 'am Ende des Tages' is another one of those. – bukwyrm May 19 at 6:47
  • "auspowern" englisch ausgesprochen scheint ursprünglich eine Reanalyse der geschriebenen Form gewesen zu sein. – sgf May 19 at 15:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.