Today someone wrote to me the following:

"Da meine Bruder in Osterreich heiratet, habe ich am 16. August frei bekommen."

and the context clearly indicates that the writer will not be working on this day.

I can't quite parse the statement: does "frei bekommen" have a special meaning such as "to take the day off"? Probably yes, since to "receive the day free" does make sense but I've never seen/been taught this use and was curious if this is a common construct used in modern German?

This use is quite common:

"Kann ich morgen frei bekommen?" -"Can i take a day off tomorrow?"

and if you succeeded in getting the day off:

"Ich habe morgen frei." - "I do not work tomorrow."

As 'Ich habe/bekomme -adjective- ' is not really a grammatical way to use these verbs, i'd say this is idiomatic use.

Taking a day off from work can be expressed in two ways in German:

• "frei nehmen" is like the English expression; it means you are reasonably certain you do not have to work on the respective day and/or have done everything required to ensure that outcome.

• "frei bekommen" expresses the same fact, but puts the employer in the active role; it expresses the request to take the day off was granted.

The two expressions are essentially the same; the latter may slightly imply that being allowed to be absent from work on that day was not absolutely bound to happen, or that it took at least a little bit of effort on the speaker's side (convincing, finding a substitute, shifting appointments, ...) to be allowed to be absent. (But then, the same would be implied by "Ich konnte den Tag freinehmen.")

• With regard to the last paragraph I have a different association. If you work for a public employer (Öffentlicher Dienst) you will often - after request - be granted a free day for some special occasions like the marriage (or birth, funeral...) of a close relative that does not count towards your normal holidays. That is the - as stated in the answer - implied meaning that I connect this phrase to. – Volker Landgraf May 31 '19 at 8:41

literally translated

to get a day off

usually from work or school.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.