I have the sentence:

To prevent infections in the first instance, so that antibiotics do not have to be used.

and I've translated it to:

Infektionen überhaupt vorzubeugen, sodass Antibiotika nicht benutzt werden müssen.

Is the word order for the last three verbs correct? I'm not sure if werden must be before müssen, before benutzt, or at the end.

• Your translation attempt is indeed correct, if the english said do not need to be used. Otherwise, it would be dürfen.
    – Janka
    May 31, 2019 at 21:47
    @Janka "Do not need to be used" and "do not have to be used" are effectively the same, so the translation is correct for either case.
    – PiedPiper
    May 31, 2019 at 22:03
    By the way, I'd translate in the first instance more narrowly, either sofort, or word for word an erster Stelle, in erster Instanz, als erstes, von Anfang an, because überhaupt would idiomatically go in the second part with gar nicht erst, "damit Anitbiotika überhaupt gar nicht erst eingesetzt werden müssen", which is in a colloquial register though. I would not capitalize start of the sentence, because lacking a subject, it is not really a full sentence, and there's no main clause finite verb, only a zu-infinitive and the infinitive müssen. It's Odd in the original too.
    – vectory
    Jun 1, 2019 at 7:35

1 Answer 1

The simple rule for verb placement is, when you make a subordinate clause from a main clause, the finite verb moves to the end. Same for the modals, as soon a modal is involved, the finite verb becomes an infinitive and moves to the end. So,

Es wird benutzt. → …, so dass es benutzt wird.

Es muss benutzt werden. → …, so dass es benutzt werden muss.

But take care, as soon the row of infinitives and participles gets longer, the finite verb typically leads it:

Es hat benutzt werden müssen. → …, so dass es hat benutzt werden müssen.

This exception is strong for haben, less so for other verbs. They are okay with both options:

Es wird benutzt werden müssen. → …, so dass es wird benutzt werden müssen.

Es wird benutzt werden müssen. → …, so dass es benutzt werden müssen wird.

Es sollte benutzt werden müssen. → …, so dass es sollte benutzt werden müssen.

Es sollte benutzt werden müssen. → …, so dass es benutzt werden müssen sollte.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.