Being completely unfamiliar with the answer, I would dare say that it is a legacy of Latin, although I fail to recognize any similarity between Latin declensions and this sort of noun alteration. Is there any source that explores the history of this interesting phenomenon?

To quote @Fabio Turati and his nice description of what I mean by "n-Deklination":

In German you normally decline articles, adjectives and pronouns, but not nouns. Still, some nouns must be declined: in accusative, genitive and dative you have to add an 'n', and these words are said to belong to the "n-Deklination". They are also called "schwache Nomen" (that is, "weak nouns"). For example, let's take "der Name": you say "Wie ist dein Name?" (nominative), but "Sag mir deinen Namen!" (accusative).

This sounds interesting. I wish I knew what the n-Deklination is – Mawg Jun 4 at 15:41
    @Mawg In German you normally decline articles, adjectives and pronouns, but not nouns. Still, some nouns must be declined: in accusative, genitive and dative you have to add an 'n', and these words are said to belong to the "n-Deklination". They are also called "schwache Nomen" (that is, "weak nouns"). For example, let's take "der Name": you say "Wie ist dein Name?" (nominative), but "Sag mir deinen Namen!" (accusative). – Fabio Turati Jun 4 at 21:48
    Thank you @Mawg for pointing that out, I thought the nomenclature was universal. I will edit my question to clear things up. – Easymode44 Jun 5 at 7:15
  • I understand it, just was not familiar with the term. – Mawg Jun 5 at 7:38

The n-Deklination originates from the Indo-European (athematic) n-stems. You may want to take a look at the Wikipedia page about Proto-Indo-European nominals

It does not originate from Latin; rather, both Latin and Germanic inherited n-stems from Indo-European.

It's a legacy of Proto-Germanis language (and since German is not a descendant of the Latin language, n-Declination cannot be a legacy of Latin). This "n" was a part of a word stem and the n-Form is often the original form of the word. Later, the ending "n" was dropped off in nominative but remained in other cases. (source, in German)

• Virus and Museum do not have an /n/ in any of its cases in Latin. German cannot "retain" something that never existed. – fdb Jun 5 at 15:43
  • @fdb I removed that part. – Eller Jun 5 at 16:13

I just opened "Consonant and vowel gradation in the Proto-Germanic n-stems" before reading this question.

[Todo: Read and summarize 100 odd pages, the bulk making lexical entries]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.