Can someone kindly explain the structure of this sentence to me (in general terms)?

I am most confused about the following:

• The verb looks like it is in position 3
  • What is 'Trainierte' in this case? It seems to refer to a 'trained' person, but I thought this would have to be used as an adjective in conjunction with a noun (i.e trained man/woman/person).

Vor allem Trainierte können sich eher am unteren Bereich der Empfehlung orientieren

Many thanks,

• It is a verb transformed to a pronoun and then transformed to a noun. :-) "Particularly trained (persons) are more likely...". – peterh says reinstate Monica Jun 10 at 1:53
  • Thanks for the explanation and format feedback! – Stefan Jun 10 at 9:01

The verb looks like it is in position 3.

This is not how the V2 rule works. V2 is the last resort. The finite verb is neither at the beginning nor the end so it must be in second position (though there is, of course, an exception even to this rule). This means

Vor allem Trainierte

is one item. Because V2 says, all the stuff in front of the finite verb in second position is one item. (Apart from particles. Particles break any rule.)

In this case, it's the subject: trained persons in particular.

What is 'Trainierte' in this case?

It's a noun made from the Partizip II of the verb trainieren: trainiert. You can make different nouns from a verb

das Trainieren — practising (from Infinitiv)

der Trainierende — the practising one (from Partizip I)

der Trainierte — the one who has practiced (from Partizip II, perfect interpretation)

der Trainierte — the one who is coached (from Partizip II, passive interpretation)

This systematic is applicable to all German verbs and German speakers use it all the time. Some verbs allow one more form

die Platzierung — the result of platzieren ("-ung-Form")

This doesn't apply to trainieren though, for unknown reasons. Maybe because people differ what the result of trainieren is.

• Perfect. Was unaware of Partizip II verb transformations given the level I am currently studying at - great explanation, thanks. – Stefan Jun 10 at 9:03
  • Vor allem Trainierte is one item because Vor allem is an attributive of Trainierte. If it weren't, the word order would in fact violate V2. – RHa Jun 10 at 9:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.