How the following sentence would be translated best?

What is important to you about becoming successful?

Google translates it like so:

Was ist Ihnen wichtig, um erfolgreich zu werden?

Is that correct? Somehow I doubt it, except I just don't understand the meaning of that question.

• Please don’t use „code formatting“ unless absolutely necessary: it has not automatic line breaks and except for the first few words isn’t readable on mobile devices. – Stephie Jun 10 '19 at 12:24
  • I think it is correct (not a native speaker). – peterh Jun 10 '19 at 12:33
    Your translation means what does the person think needs to be done to become successful. But the english phrase asks why being successful is important for the person. – puck Jun 10 '19 at 14:44

People will understand the Google translation but sense it as an anglicism. Because

Was ist ihnen wichtig?

is a fixed phrase meaning What gives your life meaning? It doesn't mix well with additional restrictions.

The typical way to ask for opinions in German use the verbs finden or meinen/denken. In addition, German speakers prefer snappy nouns before verb phrases.

Was finden Sie wichtig für den persönlichen Erfolg?

Was (meinen/denken Sie,) braucht es für persönlichen Erfolg?

• Thank you for your answer! what do you think of that: Warum ist es dir wichtig Erfolg zu haben? For me it sounds the most meaningful until now. That makes sense to me – toesslab Jun 10 '19 at 15:17
    The English phrase sounded ambiguous to me. Yes, your translation attempt is correct apart from the missing comma in front of Erfolg. – Janka Jun 10 '19 at 17:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.