I am confused as to when to use each of the three phrases from the title, especially the “einem Monat”

Would saying “in less than one month” be “Weniger als ein Monat noch“ ?

Thank you!

closed as off-topic by πάντα ῥεῖ, Glorfindel, user259412, Robert, Björn Friedrich Jun 11 at 3:54

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Glorfindel, user259412, Robert, Björn Friedrich
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Context please? These all are context dependent. We can't give you a general answer. – πάντα ῥεῖ Jun 10 at 20:29
    @πάνταῥεῖ: Well, the grammatical difference can well be explained, along with a hint that which to use when depends mostly on the vocabulary used in context. – O. R. Mapper Jun 10 at 20:39
  • I would like to say “Less than one month left until Austria” in the sense of, that in less than one month, I will be in Austria. – Nia K Jun 10 at 20:58
    This should be covered in any beginner level German book. Depending on the case (Nominativ, Genitiv, Dativ, Akkusativ) you need to use the coresponding form. en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Monat#Declension – infinitezero Jun 10 at 21:44
  • I have trouble learning grammar due to a TBI, but I am trying. I understand then now that in my example it is ein or einen. Because of the weird structure of my sentence, i think Monat is the subject so it will be ein, but I am not sure and that is why I was asking on here – Nia K Jun 10 at 22:38

in less than one month

in weniger als einem Monat

That's dative. Why? Because the German preposition in requires the dative case when you describe a spot in time. That's all the magic.

• Thank you, Janka for that brilliant tip! If I was to say it as “Less than one month left...”, it would be “Weniger als ein Monat noch” because the month is the subject so it is nominative, right? – Nia K Jun 10 at 22:46
  • You had no preposition demanding a specific case then. Weniger als ein Monat bleibt uns noch. (subject) or Sie müssen weniger als einen Monat abwarten. (accusative object). – Janka Jun 10 at 22:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.