In German and also in English people use Präsens to express something that happens regularly right?

I have seen something like:

"Wir helfen anderen Menschen, die alles verloren haben."

but I have also seen sentences like:

"Wir liefern die Ware, die man im Internet/auf unserer Webseite bestellt/bestellt hat."

In this case, both ways of writing (die man bestellt/die man bestellt hat) are correct no? Same case with:

"Wir helfen Menschen, die ihr Haustier verlieren/verloren haben."

Beides geht oder? Could you please explain me the difference between the two?

Vielen Dank!

Extra:

"Ich freue mich immer sehr, wenn ich ein gutes Thema finde/gefunden habe, weil ich es dann meinen Studenten zeigen kann."

Both variants are possible, but they describe a different thing.

• If you used Präsens in both parts, you focus on future repetition. That is because Präsens is about the present and the future.

• If you used Präsens and Perfekt (or Präteritum as a replacement for Perfekt) you focus on the line of events for each single installment.

Most times people won't make a difference nor use one or the other option consciously. Seasoned writers certainly do, however.

Sometimes it makes a difference in everyday situations, though:

Wir helfen Menschen, die ihr Haustier verloren haben.

First, someone loses her pet. Then, we help. We do that again and again.

Wir helfen Menschen, die ihr Haustier verlieren.

Someone loses her pet. We help. We do that again and again.

See how the latter form implies someone loses her pet again and again? The other option is even more nasty:

Someone will lose her pet. We help. We do that again and again.

Why is that so? Because Präsens is about the present and the future.

We know you will lose your pet. Again and again.

• Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat. – Loong Jun 15 at 12:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy