I have the following sentence. I would like to know do we have any time stating what should come when among the options: danach, dann and später .

Zuerst hat Holger Pietsch als Berater gearbeitet. Er war viel unterwegs und hatte sehr viel Stress. Dann ist er richtig krank geworden. Er hat dann ein Jahr gar nicht gearbeitet, Medikamente genommen und eine Therapie gemacht. Danach hat er gewusst, was für ihn wichtig

Will it be okay to replace danach, dann and später with each other?

The words then (dann) and afterwards (danach) have the same meaning. It doesn't matter if you use then or afterwards. In order to avoid repetitions, it will be okay to replace danach, dann and später with each other.

The time adverbs first (zuerst), later (später), then (dann) and afterwards (danach) often appear at the beginning of the sentence before the conjugated verb.

But please note that your quoted sentences are very short for a German reader. I'm not sure if the first dann means dadurch(through/thereby).

So, I attach the following text as a possible example only:

Holger Pietsch hat zuerst als Berater gearbeitet, war viel unterwegs und hatte sehr viel Stress. Dadurch [Danach] ist er richtig krank geworden und hat dann ein Jahr gar nicht gearbeitet, Medikamente genommen und eine Therapie gemacht. Später hat er gewusst, was für ihn wichtig ist.

Good advice and example. Comma splices are abhored in English but best style in German. Full stops are for closing one row of thoughts in German. – Janka Jun 18 '19 at 13:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.