I have two questions regarding the sentence

Dass bei dieser ungeheuren Arbeit Vieler im Einzelnen auch mancherlei Irrtümer mituntergelaufen sind, das ist natürlich und zuletzt für das Gesammtergebnis gar nicht so schlimm.

1. Does "Vieler im Einzelnen auch mancherlei Irrtümer" refer to "many various mistakes in relation to the details"?

2. Am I correctly interpreting "Irrtümer mituntergelaufen" as something like "mistakes has sneaked in"?

You should really cite your sources.
    – David Vogt
    Jun 30 '19 at 21:38
    Another option is that a space is missing between mit and untergelaufen
    – Arsak
    Jul 1 '19 at 8:16

You have to split the sentence differently:

Dass bei dieser ungeheuren Arbeit Vieler …

It's the work of many.

There's no verb mitunterlaufen. It's in the same league as to misunderestimate. In addition the Partizip II of inseparable prefixed verbs as unterlaufen retains the prefix and skips the -ge-, so it must be unterlaufen, not untergelaufen.

What was probably meant was

… im Einzelnen auch mancherlei Irrtümer unterlaufen sind …

mit- is a semi-productive prefix that can be added to more or less any verb, indicating that another process occurred in addition to the explicitly described process: mitfliegen = You're flying somewhere and I'm coming, too; miterledigen = We're dealing with this in combination with that other thing that we're already doing, etc. So there doesn't need to be an actual verb mitunterlaufen. Jul 1 '19 at 6:42
    @KilianFoth Es geht im das ge- in mituntergelaufen. Jul 1 '19 at 7:29
  • I have still no idea what mitunterlaufen should mean. Unterlaufen with its two variants is complicated enough.
    – Janka
    Jul 1 '19 at 10:04
  • @Janka: I read it as two words, "mit untergelaufen", where "mit" is used in the same way as extending "das ist dabei" to "das ist mit dabei". But I have to admit I never thought about the grammar of this usage of "mit", and I'd suppose it's mostly colloquial.
    – dirkt
    Jul 4 '19 at 11:43

First, let us correct the orthographic errors and stylistic flaws of the sentence:

Dass bei dieser ungeheuren Arbeit Vieler im Einzelnen auch mancherlei Irrtümer mituntergelaufen sind, das ist natürlich und zuletzt für das Gesammtergebnis gar nicht so schlimm.

Now, let us turn to your questions.

regarding 1.

• die Arbeit Vieler ⇆ the works of many
  • im Einzelnenin detail

regarding 2.

• Irrtümer sind unterlaufen ⇆ mistakes occurred / sneaked in

Thus, the relative clause can be interpreted as follows:

... that, during the tremendous works of many, in detail also several mistakes sneaked in ...

while I agree to cut the 2nd m, I disagree to say that "das ist natürlich und zuletzt" is a stylistic flaw. Consequently this would eliminate "ungeheuren" and "mancherlei", even "gar nicht so schlimm" would turn out "okay". I see it just as characteristics without any error. The core aspect of the answer: I agree. Jul 1 '19 at 8:14
  • Wer häufig längere Texte schreibt oder redigiert wird aus stilistischen Gründen sehr wohl solche Füllwörter streichen, sofern mit ihnen nicht bestimmte Effekte erzeugt werden sollen. Jul 1 '19 at 14:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.