Why isn't the company called Deutsches Wohnen? It is das Wohnen, neutral, if I'm not mistaken.

Deutsche Wohnen (or Deutsche wohnen, but capitalized because it's a name) would mean for me "Germans live". Deutsches Wohnen would imply for me "German living (standards)".

The full name is "Deutsche Wohnen AG", where AG means it is based on stocks. AG stands for Aktiengesellschaft (a feminine).

As in the stock market this is obvious, the AG is omitted.

|improve this answer|||||
  • What about RWE which is Rheinisch-Westfälisches Elektrizitätswerk AG? – Eller Jul 1 '19 at 16:35
  • @Annatar My comment (as well as the question) is not about the article but about the adjective. How do you explain why it's "rheinisches" and not "rheinische" although it's an AG too? – Eller Jul 3 '19 at 6:40

Proper names don't have to follow grammar conventions.

Aside from that, company names often feature an implicit

die Gesellschaft – the corporation

and die Deutsche Wohnen is no exception. That's why it's feminine.

• In other words, it is one of the many mannerisms of the real estate business. They have plenty of peculiar words or ways to use words that in a context of normal conversation are simply idiotic. – Christian Geiselmann Jun 30 '19 at 21:46
  • So, it would be something akin to 'Deutsche Wohnengesellschaft', 'German housing society'? Not very expressive, but as inane as "American Apparel" – Quora Feans Jun 30 '19 at 23:16
    Wie man bei Wikipedia leicht nachlesen kann, ist die Deutsche Wohnen eine Aktiengesellschaft. In der Abkürzung klingt es in der Tat schräg, aber idiotisch ist es nicht. – user unknown Jul 1 '19 at 7:47
    I think that's because it was neuter before, before it became an AG. – Janka Jul 2 '19 at 9:38
    Sorry, no clue then. As I wrote, proper names do not have to follow grammar conventions. – Janka Jul 2 '19 at 18:24

Actually it's pretty easy why the "Deutsche Wohnen SE" is called this way and it has nothing to do with grammar.

The Deutsche Wohnen was founded in 1998 by the Deutsche Bank.

You see, the subsidiary was named like the parent company the Deutsche Bank. Including all grammar and naming conventions.

Edit:

Current other subsidiaries following this kind of CI are

Deutsche Asset Management Investment GmbH

Deutsche Australia Limited, Sydney

Deutsche Securities Inc., Tokyo

Deutsche Immobilien Leasing GmbH

Deutsche Familiy Office GmbH

I'll assume (unlike other answetrs) that your question is about the gender of "Deutsche" not the gender of the name itself.

Since it's a name, it could be quite arbitrary. And yes, "Deutsche Wohnen" would mean that Germans live.

The full name is "Deutsche Wohnen AG" and in my opinion it's a play of words. One might understand deutsche "Wohnen AG" as in " a stock market oriented property company that happens to be German" or "Deutsche Wohnen" AG as in "A company named 'Deutsche Wohnen' that happens to be an 'AG'". And what is wrong with "Deutsche Wohnen"? I'd even say that "Deutsches Wohnen" would be problmatic since it might imply hostility toward strangers/foreighners and one would need to explain what is German about it and why German is inherently good etc. On the other hand one can't deny that Germans live and that a German property company is somewhat related to that.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.