I am looking to translate the sentence

I'm trying to say in German all the things I would normally say in English.

I am only just beginning to get a grasp on subordinate clauses and the accompanying word order, so my best attempt is

Ich versuche auf Deutsch alle die Zeuge die ich normalerweise auf Englisch sagen würde sagen.

Any explanation of errors (or poor word choices) would be greatly appreciated.

This construction requires the zu Infinitiv.

Ich versuche X zu tun.

I try to do X.

Zeug does not need the Plural, all dein Zeug translates to all your things/stuff. But here, Zeug is the wrong word choice, because it refers to physical stuff. Sachen or Dinge would be the correct translation.

We can now put this together without the relative clause.

Ich versuche all die Sachen auf Deutsch zu sagen.

Now we just need to add the relative clause. You already did a good job there.

Ich versuche all die Dinge, die ich normalerweise auf Englisch sagen würde, auf Deutsch zu sagen.

We can still polish this a little.

Ich versuche alles, was ich normalerweise auf Englisch sagen würde, auf Deutsch auszudrücken.

Note that for verbs with certain prefixes: auf, ab, zu, unter,... the zu Infinitiv moves in between.

• Das Zeug/Zeugs is a mandatory singular noun. There is no plural. It always refers to a collection of things. – Janka Jul 1 '19 at 0:56
  • Duden does list a plural form. I couldn't think of an example either, though. – infinitezero Jul 1 '19 at 0:58
  • Wo? duden.de/rechtschreibung/Zeugs#grammatik – Janka Jul 1 '19 at 1:00
  • The plural of das Zeug is only used in compound words as das Werkzeug or das Fahrzeug. – Janka Jul 1 '19 at 1:02
  • @Janka I thought of "Flugzeuge" and just assumed "Zeuge" existed haha. Thanks for the clarification! – flevinBombastus Jul 1 '19 at 1:39

I think the question was about the correct gender/number/case of the relative pronoun.

This is tricky! Consider

Ich helfe einem Frager, der Hilfe braucht.

Ich helfe einem Frager, dessen Frage ich beantworten kann.

Ich helfe einem Frager, dem ich schon einmal geholfen habe.

Ich helfe einem Frager, den ich kenne.

These are all valid, though they are all relative to einem Frager. You have to understand der/die/das etc. is a pronoun here. It replaces the noun in question in the additional relation (hence relative pronoun) presented in the subordinate clause. Let's put it as main clauses instead.

Ich helfe einem Frager. Der Frager braucht Hilfe

Ich helfe einem Frager. Ich kann dessen Frage beantworten.

Ich helfe einem Frager. Ich habe dem Frager schon einmal geholfen.

Ich helfe einem Frager. Ich kenne den Frager.

In those main clauses, it becomes clear why that gender/number/case was chosen.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.