In playing a card game, I’d like to say that taking a certain card results in negative points. Is it correct to say ‘diese Karte ergibt Minuspunkte?’

New contributor
Wortspiel is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

As a board gamer, the wordings

Diese Karte bringt Minuspunkte
Diese Karte bringt einem Minuspunkte ein

sound most natural to me

• Einbringen sounds a little outdated to me. – infinitezero Jul 12 at 7:48
    It might be a little outdated for general use, but in gaming context it is quite normal. – Volker Landgraf Jul 12 at 7:51

The word "ergeben" can refer to the result of a calculation, but the card is just one component of the calculation, together with the points before. I think it is understandable, but it sounds a little strange.

To what game are you referring?

• Thank you! I understand your point - that really helps me to appreciate the situation where one might use ergeben. The game I was thinking about is a card game called Sticheln. – Wortspiel Jul 12 at 11:21

It sounds clumsy. There are better ways to phrase what you want:

Bei dieser Karte erhält man Minuspunkte / einen Minuspunkt.

this could also be written in an instructions manual

Diese Karte gibt einem Minuspunkte / einen Minuspunkt.
Von dieser Karte bekommt man Minuspunkte / einen Minuspunkt.
Bei dieser Karte kriegt man Minuspunkte / einen Minuspunkt.

These sound a little colloquial, use them when talking with your friends, not necessarily in your game instructions, although it wouldn't be terribly bad.

• Is there any special meaning intended with the italics? – guidot Jul 12 at 8:20
  • Thank you! I like you first suggestion a lot. – Wortspiel Jul 12 at 11:23

Without more context (is it a game with tricks, a card trading game, ...) it is difficult, to come up with a specific proposal. A quite generic one is:

Für diese Karte bekommt man (x) Punkte abgezogen.

Your Answer

Wortspiel is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.