What is the standard grammatical (syntactic) treatment of a sentence like this, which is from an Aesop.

Oft schon habe ich dich von Herzen bedauert, dass du Tag für Tag die schwersten Lasten tragen und vom Morgen bis Abend arbeiten musst.

I note that both dich and the dass-clause are sorts of things that could be an accusative object of bedauern.

See e.g. these from WordReference:

jemanden bedauern: feel sorry for sb.
ich bedauere sehr, dass: I very much regret that.

I know what the Aesop sentence means. I am looking for grammatical treatment. For example:

• jemanden is the accusative object of bedauern in 'jemanden bedauern'.
  • The dass-clause is the accusative object of bedauere in 'ich bedauere sehr, dass...'
  • In the Aesop sentence, both dich and the dass-clause are accusative objects of bedauert.
  • In such a case, dich is said to be a [SOME GRAMMATICAL TERM], the dass-clause an [ANOTHER GRAMMATICAL TERM], and bedauert a [THIRD GRAMMATICAL TERM].

I am not saying that the above bullets are right. They are meant to illustrate the sort of answer I am looking for. Thanks.

I am not sure, but this other post may be related.

German conjunctions tend to be polysemous in confusing ways. Yes, dass introduces complement clauses, but it also serves to introduce adverbial clauses designating a result, purpose or reason. See the DWDS entry for dass, 5. (although some of the examples are poorly chosen).

das Publikum tobte, dass die Wände wackelten
the audience cheered so that the walls shook

Schreib das auf, dass du es nicht vergisst!
Write that down so that you don't forget it!

Bist du etwa hierhergerannt, dass du so schwitzt? (source)
Did you run here? I'm asking because you're sweating like that.

In your example, a causal interpretation of the dass clause would fit. Note that this use is mostly obsolete; it is alive and well in the example I gave above, where the subordinate clause is not interpreted as a cause for running, but as a cause for asking a question about running.

• "das Publikum tobte, dass die Wände wackelten" - ist da ein "so" weggelassen? – Dan Jul 24 at 13:34
    @Dan Der Beispielsatz soll ohne so sein, um zu zeigen, daß daß auch für sich konsekutive Bedeutung haben kann. – David Vogt Jul 24 at 16:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.