Why is the German "qu" pronounced as "kv"? Most of the languages I know of pronounce "qu" as "w" and/or "kw". What's the history behind this oddity?

Can you provide a few examples? From the top of my had I can only think of words where it's pronounced kw (ku) or k: quasi, Quarks, quarz, Quiche, Antiquariat, Quorum, Quanten... – Philipp Jul 27 '19 at 5:43
    Apart from "Quiche" all these words are pronounced with /kv/, not /kw/. – fdb Jul 29 '19 at 13:27

Why do you think it's an oddity?

The sound [w] (as in the English words "wind" [wɪnd] or "weep" [wiːp]) does not exist in German language. The most similar sound that exists in German is [v].

And in English I didn't find any word where "qu" was spoken other than [kw]:

• consequence [ˈkɒnsɪkwɛns]
  • quick [kwɪk]
  • request [ɹɪˈkwɛst]
  • quality [ˈkwɒlɪti]
  • quarter [ˈkwɔːtə]
  • squad [skwɒd]

So, beside the general usage of [v] instead of [w] the German pronunciation is the same like in English.

|improve this answer|||||
  • In words that come from French the English use [k] e.g. "quiche". And then there's "quay", pronounced [ki:] – PiedPiper Jul 27 '19 at 9:01
    Plus there's "queue' [kju:] – PiedPiper Jul 27 '19 at 9:11
    It is the same in German. Foreign words are usually pronounced as in their original language (or at least people try ...). – Paul Frost Jul 27 '19 at 15:48
  • @HubertSchölnast Don't forget Latin. "qu" is definitely not pronounced as in the modern Romanic languages. But I am not sure whether it is correctly pronounced as [kv] or [kw]. – Paul Frost Jul 27 '19 at 16:02
  • @PiedPiper "quay" is pronounced [ke:], and it comes as the German loanword Kai (also pronounced in German way [kai]), as in Kaigasse, Mayburger Kai, etc. – rexkogitans Jul 29 '19 at 12:39

Middle High German had a phoneme /w/, usually written “w”, and did not have the sound [v]. In New High German this /w/ survives in a very small number of words (I can think of “blau” and "grau"); otherwise it shifted to /v/, but retained the old spelling with “w” or “qu”. The development of “qu” to /kv/ is thus exactly parallel to the development of “w” to /v/.

|improve this answer|||||
  • I thought they were talking about kfark. Köllsch retains the /w/ I guess. – vectory Jul 29 '19 at 16:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.