In English I always find myself saying "I bet" in this kind of context: "I bet you're well chuffed with it." What would this be in German and could it be used without sounding weird?

Was sagen denn die Wörterbücher? – user unknown Jul 27 '19 at 15:10
  • Was heißt chuffed with it? – vectory Jul 27 '19 at 19:39
  • "Well chuffed" = höchst erfreut, mit einem Element der Überraschung. – gnasher729 Jul 27 '19 at 19:57
  • Blown away kinda like? – vectory Jul 28 '19 at 9:58
  • Yes, blown away is the best description. – Intel Jul 28 '19 at 10:02

There are numerous ways to say it.

Most natural to me sounds (colloquially)

Wetten, dass er sich gleich blamiert? Wanna bet, that he's going to make a fool of himself?

Which is short for

Wollen wir wetten, dass er sich gleich blamiert?

Which can also be used.
As flopana has mentioned, you can also use

Ich wette, er blamiert sich gleich / Ich wette, dass er sich gleich blamiert.

Lastly a famous earlier TV show was also called "Wetten, dass?", where contestants in the show would bet, they could do something extraordinary and famous guests then had to say how they plead. If the guest lost the bet, they often had to do a humiliating task.

In german "I bet" is "Ich wette", and definitely yes: you can use it in a sentence the same way you would in english.

I bet he will stumble and fall.  ⇆  Ich wette, er wird stolpern und fallen.

• Beistrich fehlt: Ich wette, er ... – rexkogitans Jul 28 '19 at 6:51

It should be "Ich wette" in german.

Hello and welcome to the site! Please note that we already have two answers that say "Ich wette". Thus, please only answer, if you can expand on existing answers or add something new. – infinitezero Jul 28 '19 at 9:39

I would much rather say ich hoffe, "I hope". Ich wette is closer to betcha and implies a challenge. The expression is optionally negated, unlike I bet, but the conjunctive I wouldn't bet on it works analogously. Ich würde nicht darauf hoffen. The level of politeness may differ, though.

a) I bet he's gonna fall on his face

Ich hoffe er fällt auf die Schnauze

This works well, but the next bit looses in translation.

b) I bet you are well chuffed with it

Ich hoffe, das überrascht dich

I expect you be surprised

Ich erwarte, dass du überrascht bist

Better would be Ich nehme an, "I suppose, I take it that ...", which incidentally covers Wetten annehmen, "to take bets".

As such, "ich wette, du platzt gleich!" would be not only sarcastic, but provocative and thus highly impolite. If you are frequently imposing yourself, then Ich wette damit hast du nicht gerechnet is indeed a fitting translation for the style.

Comparing hoffen to bet makes sense semantically, but etymologically I find hoffen quite difficult (that is I had a counterintuitie hint at a derivation), while bet, that might have come under influence of various lexically not too distant words, is no easier.

Ehm nein? Das ist ja eine komplette fehl Übersetzung. – infinitezero Jul 27 '19 at 16:34
    Es taucht zum Beispiel nicht als Übersetzung auf: Dict.cc?s=Bet davon abgesehen: hoffen drückt aus, dass du dir etwas wünscht. Das muss bei wetten nicht gegeben sein. Wetten bedeutet, dass du es dir den wahrscheinlichsten Ausgang hälst. (Es kann Ausnahmen geben, dass man bewusst auf etwas unwahrscheinliches wettet, zwecks der besseren Quote). – infinitezero Jul 27 '19 at 19:10
    Oh Entschuldigung, wenn sie sowas besser wissen hätten sie das vorher erwähnen müssen, dann hätte ich meine Antwort direkt gelöscht. Das wusste ich nicht. – infinitezero Jul 27 '19 at 19:47
    Wirre Argumentation vom Beantworter. – Nils Magnus Jul 28 '19 at 9:25
    @sfg, das stimmt so nicht. Bei der Option very low quality steht als Kriterium This answer has severe formatting or content problems. Dieses Kriterium sehe ich hier erfüllt, weshalb ich die Antwort entsprechend markiert habe. – Björn Friedrich Jul 28 '19 at 11:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.