Let's say I live in the student dormitory. If I'm writing the address should I add my room number so that a parcel can be delivered into my post box?

Yes, it's usual in dorms and advisable if you want to make sure that the parcel is delivered to you and not someone else!

As already pointed out, you can put it in the same line as the street. According to the DIN standard 5008 for adressing, you should use space, double-slash, space to separate it from the house number:

Peter Abaidoo Mensah
Budapester Str. 24 // Zi. 123
01069 Dresden

The alternative is to use a separate line for it, but then before the street (that means between name and street):

Peter Abaidoo Mensah
Zi. 123
Budapester Str. 24
01069 Dresden

Also note that there is no comma between postal code and city and "Str." is always capitalized if it is a separate word ("Goethestr." but "Lange Str."). The country should only be indicated on international mailings.

Yes, you should add your room number. Because a postman has no time to search your name among 500 others under same address.

Just another abbreviation: Zi. - because the exact location has to be found by local postman, not by sender's post office.

[Vorname] [Nachname]
Budapester Str. 24 / Zi. 123
01069 Dresden
Germany

Depending of the address fields of the sender it is also possible to use a new line, I used both ways in my past:

[Vorname] [Nachname]
[Straße] [Hausnummer]
Zi. 123
[PLZ] [Stadt]
[Germany]

-> country "Germany" only if post is sent from another country.

I would write the room number on a separate line so it is clearly recognizable. – Eller Aug 7 at 12:13
  • It's Allemagne, not Germany for international letters and parcels, as the offical post language is French. – Janka Aug 7 at 15:11
    @Janka English was added as a working language in 1994. Anyway, it should read "ALLEMAGNE" or "GERMANY" rather than "Allemagne" or "Germany". – Loong Aug 7 at 19:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.