I basically know that Frühstück, Mittagessen and Abendessen are common in Germany. However, I am interested to know how brunch is called in German language. Can we use zweites Frühstück for brunch? Or is there any specific name for it?

Zweites Frühstück is a Butterbrot you eat at the break room at work or on the schoolyard. – Janka Aug 12 at 17:13

Zweites Frühstück implies there has been an erstes Frühstück. Brunch is simply called Brunch. To eat brunch is called brunchen.

Wollen wir Samstag brunchen?

"Zweites Frühstück" is usually for people who start working very early and need another meal between their early breakfast and lunch.

In school, I had breakfast at home a 6.30 am, zweites Frühstück at 10 am during the first longer break in school ("Große Pause") and lunch at 1 pm.

"Brunch" is used in German language. When I was younger, I didn't know the word brunch. My family used to call it "spätes Frühstück".

"Spätes Frühstück" is very fitting indeed, because usually - in anticipation of a brunch - any otherwise earlier meals will be skipped, even if it means the first meal will start as late as 10 or 11 am. – 0xC0000022L Aug 12 at 19:12

Brunch is a special kind of meal. It's the combination of breakfast and lunch.

If a restaurant offers a brunch, I expect a mixture of breakfast and lunch. So there would be typical breakfast food (bread rolls, butter, jam, honey,...) but also typical lunch items (warm meat, potatoes, vegetables, ...).

If a restaurant offers a second breakfast, I expect a normal breakfast. The breakfast could be smaller than a normal breakfast, because the landlord expects, that I already had a breakfast at home.

A second breakfast is normally just a repetition of a breakfast. Or it is a prepared bread and butter sandwich for a break. A bakery could advertise their pastry/cookie as a second breakfast (you can buy it and eat it immediately as a snack).

In fact the word is a portmanteau (dt. Kofferwort) from breakfast and lunch. – 0xC0000022L Aug 12 at 19:10

I think the fitting german expression for "zweites Frühstück" would be "Vesper". Brunch is the Combination of Breakfast and lunch, and is used in this way in german. So no, i would say "vesper" to the second breakfast.

This is very common in manual labour jobs. They start early, around 6 in the morning, already had their breakfast, then around 9 its the "vesper", at noon its the "mittagessen"/Lunch and then they go home at 4 to have "Kaffee". And a Dinner in the evening.

The second breakfast could in some parts of germany be called "Brotzeit" (southern area).

• Mind that Vesper is also a somewhat regional term, which might also refer to the afternoon "Kaffetrinken". "Zweites Frühstück", however, is understood immediately as a meal in the morning. – Heinrich Aug 19 at 12:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.