I've encountered this phrase:

Ende Gelände

Shouted by an opponent in a video game. And mentioned a few times here: https://www.ende-gelaende.org/de/.

Taking into account the context from a video game and a website, I'm feeling that this might mean something like:

The game is over (now it's getting serious); enough is enough

I've googled for it but dictionaries are just translating it to:

End of area; end of story

So what's the truth?

Ende Gelände has first been a nonsense-rhyme. It is used to express something like Game Over or Your time is up now. and also This is enough. As Christian Geiselmann mentioned in a comment, the rhyme is just used to emphasize the word it rhymes with, so the function of the rhyme word is merely phonetical and not semantical at all. Analogue cases are the fixed phrases Hätte, hätte, Fahrradkette (literally translating to would have, would have, bicycle chain) and Aus die Maus (literally: off the mouse). They don't make any sense, but the rhyme underlines the word which should be emphasised.

Anti-coal activists used it as the name of their movement, because Gelände means terrain. So, the name of the anti-coal movement (which the website you found refers to), is expressing that there is no more terrain left to waste for coal mining. I think, they just used the coincidence that the former nonsense-rhyme can also be understood to express the meaning they want to deliver: they want to make coal mining an end. Of course, the meaning Time is up or Game Over is still present in that creative use of the phrase, and this is definitely intended.

| improve this answer | |
    Genetically similar: Hätte, hätte, Fahrradkette and Aus die Maus. - Also no semantical added value, just more weight given to the core word (hätte, aus) by adding an accidentally rhyming word. One could call this type of rhyme an underline rhyme, or highlighting rhyme. – Christian Geiselmann Aug 19 '19 at 9:14
  • I guess not: german.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/1407/… – Shegit Brahm Aug 20 '19 at 7:22
  • "Aus die Maus" is from the "Sendung mit der Maus". In that context, it makes perfect sense, as "die [Sendung mit der] Maus" is "aus" (reached the end). – celtschk Aug 20 '19 at 20:48
    @celtschk Interesting. Do you have additional support on your claim? It is the first time I see this phrase put into context with Die Sendung mit der Maus – jonathan.scholbach Aug 20 '19 at 22:16

Gelände ist einfach ein Reim auf Ende. Semantisch fügt es keine Information hinzu. Die ganze Phrase bedeutet nicht mehr als "Ende!".

Der Reim fügt der Floskel nur eine humorige Note hinzu. Man verwendet es eher, wenn man leicht darüber hinweg kommt, dass etwas zu Ende ist. In distanzloser Enttäuschung und Trauer eher nicht, außer der Spruch hat sich als Marotte schon so in den Sprachgebrauch eingeschliffen, dass man ihn automatisch überall verwendet.

Oft tauchen solche Floskeln überraschend in speziellen Milieus auf, verbreiten sich epidemisch und klingen dann langsam ab, wenn sie sich überall verbraucht haben.

Es gibt noch weitere Wendungen, die ähnlich mit dem Reim spielen, zum Beispiel "Schicht im Schacht" oder "Schluss, Aus, Micky Maus". Auch hier spielt die wörtliche Bedeutung von beispielsweise "Micky Maus" keine Rolle. Außerdem wird "Ende Gelände" seit einigen Jahren als Name für eine größere Protestaktion gegen Kohlekraft verwendet. Viele Fundstellen dieses Ausdrucks, zum Beispiel in den Medien, dürften aus diesem Zusammenhang kommen. – Henning Kockerbeck Aug 18 '19 at 21:58
    Please add an English translation as the question is in English, too. – infinitezero Aug 19 '19 at 1:15
  • @HenningKockerbeck: Auf die Protestaktion hat der Frager bereits selbst hingewiesen. – user unknown Aug 19 '19 at 1:40
    schicht im schacht is not just a rhyme, @HenningKockerbeck: see de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Schicht_im_Schacht – Bernd Konfuzius Aug 19 '19 at 6:35
    I think, it is considered best practise to answer a question in the same language it was asked in. – jonathan.scholbach Aug 19 '19 at 6:50

It's just a slightly humorous way of saying that something has come to an end.

A similar English phrase is "It's all over red rover." (Which apparently comes from the sport of croquet).

Actually it's Ende im Gelände (probably originating from the army), which had been shortened for the anti-coal protests. The phrase commonly is being used eg. for a game, which is already over (with no chance of doing something about it), but is still in progress.

Do you have a source that the anti-coal protests were first or any connection to an army command? I personally know "Ende Gelände" quite a long time and until recently (last 10 years) anti-coal protests seem to be a very local issue. Thus I imply that "Ende im Gelände" is a phrase build upon the "original" one. I just have no source for the one or the other. – Shegit Brahm Aug 19 '19 at 7:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.