In conversation with my friend, I said:

Er mag zwar ein richtiger kleiner Unruhestifter gewesen sein und hatte vielleicht immer nur Unfug im Kopf, aber wenn er sich etwas in den Kopf gesetzt hatte, dann wollte er es auch unbedingt bis zum Ende durchziehen.

I get the impression that the expression "etw. im Kopf haben" often, if not always, has a pejorative connotation, used with a noun like "Unfug" in my phrasing, whereas the expression "sich etw. in den Kopf setzen" has a positive sense, often coupled with a noun like "Ziel".

But I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here, all the more because this would make for an interesting contrast to French where it works the other way around:

The expression "se mettre en tête" -- literally translating as "sich etw. in den Kopf setzen" -- almost always has a pejorative connotation in French, while the expression "avoir qch. en tête" -- literally translating as "etw. im Kopf haben" -- per se is neutral and can take on a positive or negative meaning, depending on the noun used.

No. It's the same as in French.

Im Kopf haben has no particular connotation.

Ich habe immer noch den Geruch der See im Kopf.

It's the memory of the scent in my head.

Du, Stefan hat echt nur noch Nina im Kopf.

Stefan is doted upon Nina.

Sie hat immer so schräge Ideen im Kopf.

Schräge Ideen aren't bad but just odd.

What's important is the difference between im Kopf haben and am Kopf haben:

Unser neuer Lehrling hat was im Kopf, das merkt man.

That apprentice is smart.

Unsere Lehrlinge haben höchstens was am Kopf.

Those apprentices in contrary may have a mental illness, at most. If not, they are just dumb. Nobody knows.

In contrary sich etw. in den Kopf setzen has the connotation of stubbornness and ill ideas.

Ihr wollt schon wieder umziehen? – Meine Frau hat es sich nun mal in den Kopf gesetzt, dass sie nach Berlin muss.

He doesn't want to go.

Mein Mann hat es sich in den Kopf gesetzt, einen Sportwagen fahren zu müssen.

She thinks it's foolish.

Note the clause with müssen. That's not a real must, but rather an imagined one.

| improve this answer | |
  • I see. I need to readjust my thinking on all those nuances. By the way, the way I used these two phrases in conversation... does it sound idiomatic enough? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Aug 21 '19 at 20:51
  • It's excellent. – Janka Aug 21 '19 at 21:00
    Den Geruch der See würde ich eher in der Nase haben - die anderen Beispiele sind OK – Volker Landgraf Aug 21 '19 at 22:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.