The questions are as follows:

• I want ask about your approximate time of departure tommorow.
  • Ich möchte nach Ihrer ungefähren Abfahrzeit fragen.

Where do I put the word 'morgen'?

Also:

• I'm coming tommorow in the early afternoon.
  • Ich komme morgen am frühen Nachmittag.

Is this correct?

• A side note, if you want to ask someone a question then you shouldn't announce "I want to ask a question" but you should ask the question ;-) Why not just say "wann fahren Sie morgen ungefähr ab?". – puck Aug 24 at 8:18

If you want to stick to your sentence, it would be "Ich möchte nach Ihrer ungefähren Abfahrzeit morgen fragen."

Depending on the situation you might also go for a less indirect way of asking: "Wann fahren Sie morgen ab?" or "Können Sie mir sagen, wann Sie morgen abfahren?" which sounds a bit more natural.

• Können Sie mir sagen, wann Sie morgen abfahren is exactly what I was going for! The first suggestion I got was also useful, but I see it's a bit more 'official'. – Kat Aug 23 at 14:57

For the first question I would use this construct:

Ich möchte nach Ihrer ungefähren Abfahrtszeit für den morgigen Tag fragen.

Your second suggestion is correct.

• Thank you very much!! – Kat Aug 23 at 13:49
  • @Volker Landgraf: I would characterize 'für den morgigen Tag' as "Verwaltungsdeutsch". – Ralf Joerres Aug 30 at 14:10
  • @RalfJoerres Da mein Vater vor seiner Pensionierung in der Tat Beamter war, kann ich nicht völlig ausschließen, dass es einzelne Formulierungen gibt, die für mich "normalen Sprachgebrauch" darstellen, von anderen aber vielleicht als "Verwaltungsdeutsch" empfunden werden. Verstanden wird es aber problemlos (was keineswegs bei allen Begriffen der Behördensprache der Fall ist) – Volker Landgraf Aug 30 at 14:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.