Slow German podcast #182 has the following sentence:

Und das sind nur drei der acht Länder, durch die diese Bergkette führt.

Would this sentence have the same meaning and be just as correct?

Und das sind nur drei der acht Länder, dadurch diese Bergkette führt.

You have two misconceptions.

The first one is simple. The adverb dadurch means for that reason. If you wanted to pickup a direction in a later sentence as in this case, you had to write da durch instead. In speech, the difference is the former is stressed on durch, the latter on da.

Und das sind nur drei der acht Länder. Da durch führt diese Bergkette.

The second is you assume the hier- and da- adverbs mean the same as a preposition lead relative clause. They don't.

The hier- and da- adverbs are for reintroducing another fact independent from relative clause logic.

An diesem Beispiel, durch das man es erkennt, zeige ich das.

An diesem Beispiel zeige ich das. Dadurch erkennt man es.

The meaning is slightly different. Dadurch refers to the whole previous sentence, while the relative clause only refers to dieses Beispiel.

You may combine both:

Die Bergkette, durch die dadurch unsere Tour führt, sind die Alpen.

Here, the dadurch reintroduces a reason given in one of the previous sentences.

• Duden lists 3 meaning for dadurch and the first one is "da hindurch, durch diese Stelle, Öffnung hindurch", which, as I understand what you are saying, does not agree with what you say. duden.de/rechtschreibung/dadurch . Aside from that I do not follow your explanation. – user38158 Sep 10 '19 at 4:05
    »Da durch« on position 1 like in »Da durch führt diese Bergkette« is bad style. It sounds much better if you put it behind the verb (and move the subject to position 1): »Diese Bergkette führt da durch.« – Hubert Schölnast Sep 10 '19 at 5:45
  • According to Duden, even in meaning 1 (through there) it is written as one word »dadurch«. It seems like Janka, Hubert and myself all disagree with the Duden and would write »da durch«. The effect is similar to »auseinandersetzen«, which has a not very literal meaning of to deal with, whereas »auseinander setzen« indeed means to make two people sit apart from each other. – Raketenolli Sep 10 '19 at 7:23
  • @Raketenolli: I that foolish attempt to rectify the connected and unconnected writing of words, the Rechtschreibreform created a lot of uncommon standards. – Janka Sep 10 '19 at 11:32
    @Hubert Schölnast: Yes, but I did it deliberately to avoid another complication of the example. – Janka Sep 10 '19 at 11:34

Pronominaladverbien da(r) + Präposition können keine Relativsätze einleiten. Das war vielleicht nicht immer so; bei Luther heißt es beispielsweise:

Wenn aber ein Stärkerer über ihn kommt und überwindet ihn, so nimmt er ihm seinen Harnisch, darauf er sich verließ, und teilt den Raub aus. (Lukas 11,22)

Heute müßte es auf den heißen.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy