German philosophical text ca. 1860 - after a long thought passage, the paragraph is concluded with two sentences directed to the reader:

"Wir fühlen, daß dieß leicht als eine leere Formel erscheinen kann, und müssen es dem Leser überlassen, ob er Etwas dabei denken will. Nur das stelle er sich nicht etwa vor, als sei gemeint." [No words omitted in the citation!]

Should the last sentence be interpreted/translated as follows?:

But he [the reader] should not imagine that he understands the meaning [i.e. what the author really meant]

According to Google Books, the sentence doesn't end with gemeint; it looks like a subject clause follows. – David Vogt Sep 12 at 16:29
    The sentence is partial. If you're not sure about things like that, you should mention the source. – Olafant Sep 13 at 2:23
    Please quote a longer piece of text, not only the sentence in question. Context is crucial. – Christian Geiselmann Sep 13 at 12:12

I found the text and a longer version. Looks like the sentence does not end: Original

enter image description here

https://opacplus.bsb-muenchen.de/title/6339428 Page 42 (50 in the Navigation)

It's nice that you found the source. I think, you should try to answer the actual question. So doing OP's work wouldn't be wasted energy. Because - and I'm sorry to say that - right now this is not really an answer. – Olafant Sep 14 at 10:49
  • I am not allowed to comment yet, so thats the only way to post this. Yes, this is the OPs duty, but as i was curious and wanted to see if i could find it myself, i wanted to post the results if anyone is also curious, as the OP is not providing any more details. – Sango Sep 16 at 6:51
  • Is there a reason, why the "Der" after "...gemeint," starts with a uppercase letter? This could be misunderstanding as sign for the end of the before sentence. – Allerleirauh Sep 17 at 11:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.