Accordding to Langenscheidt, Oxford, Duden the verb has two past participles, but those have not mentioned when we shall use each one! because the meanings are also the same.

Depends on context. – πάντα ῥεῖ Sep 13 at 15:23
  • you mean depends on meaning in each context? just like what he has answered here? – Armin Sep 13 at 15:28
  • Yes exactly. I voted to undelete the answer. – πάντα ῥεῖ Sep 13 at 15:32
  • For some reason @TheAwfulLanguage deletes a lot of their own answers. Since they deleted it themself, I wouldn't vote on undeleting. – infinitezero Sep 13 at 17:04
  • Another example is "schleifen", which means 1. "to drag sth. along" and 2. "to cut (a gemstone)". The past participle would be "geschleift" and "geschliffen" respsectively. – QBrute Sep 14 at 11:34

"schaffen" has two meanings:

1. to get something managed,
  2. to create, to produce something

"geschafft" is the past of the 1st,

"geschaffen" is the past of the 2nd

• Amazing text/vote ratio :) Couldn't have put it better. – Dan Sep 14 at 11:33
    In Switzerland, AFAIK, schaffen is also used in the sense of "to work" (i.e., to have a job); though I wouldn't know what participle they use for that... – phipsgabler Sep 14 at 16:35
    That's meaning is not limited to Switzerland. We use it in Northern Germany, too. Ich muss schaffen gehen.Ich muss zur Arbeit gehen. – Janka Sep 15 at 12:26
    Consider also the different simple past forms: (1) schaffte (2) schuf – Bergi Sep 15 at 14:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.