Kontext

Auch die Art und Weise, wie die Gleichungen dieses Modells Vorhersagen über die Welt machen, ist absurd kompliziert. Direkt angewandt, führen sie zu unsinnigen Vorhersagen, bei denen sich jeder berechnete Wert als unendlich groß erweist.

Sentence

Um sinnvolle Resultate zu erhalten, muss man sich vorstellen, dass die in sie eingehenden Parameter ebenfalls unendlich groß sind, damit sie die absurden Resultate aufheben und vernünftige Resultate ergeben.

Wenn „sie“ die Gleichungen ist, warum ist es nicht "von ihnen"?

Der Satz ist so zu verstehen:

Um sinnvolle Resultate zu erhalten, muss man sich vorstellen, dass die in sie eingehenden Parameter ebenfalls unendlich groß sind, damit sie die absurden Resultate aufheben und vernünftige Resultate ergeben.

Sie refers to Parameter. The parameters will get rid of the absurd results. "of the aforementioned equations" / "der vorigen Gleichungen" is implied here, but not mentioned.

• Ok, that doesn't help because I don't understand what the second sie is. Bolding the antecedent doesn't clear it up. I read "In order to get meaningful results, you have to imagine that the parameters going into the equation likewise are infinitely big, so the [insert strange sie here with no obvious meaning to me] absurd results are canceled out... Is sie supposed to indicate "out of the equations" like an indirect object? – user5389726598465 Oct 3 at 7:40
  • Added more clarification – infinitezero Oct 3 at 7:43
  • That last clause is giving a reason – damit –, and sie is its subject. Damit works just like dass in all other aspects. Damit may be replaced by auf dass with no change in meaning. Sometimes the auf is skipped, leaving a bare dass and the reader has to guess the type of clause from context. – Janka Oct 3 at 11:57
  • @user5389726598465 There's no passive in the last part of the sentence, it's simply "so that they [i.e. the parameters mentioned before] cancel out ..." – DonHolgo Oct 3 at 12:09
    @DonHolgo Yes, clearly not passive. identical feminine acc/nom was forcing me to search for a subject that makes sense. Sie in the antecedent was erroneously stuck in my head as "equations" – user5389726598465 Oct 3 at 12:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.