I find it quite difficult to find a good translation for:

Lach- und Machtgeschichten zur Lage der Nation

Though I understand all the words, I still don't get the meaning of the complete sentence.

Where is this from? Quick search on the internet suggest Berlin's Distel theater has a program by that name Skandal im Spreebezirk - Lach- und Machtgeschichten zur Lage der Nation – Bernhard Döbler Oct 22 '19 at 15:45

As @πάνταῥεῖ already said Lach- und Machtgeschichten refers to the Sendung mit der Maus' phrase Lach- und Sachgeschichten.

The more or less official translation is

Stories to laugh and learn.

respectively

Laughing and Learning Stories

There is an English-dubbed version, which airs under the title "Mouse TV", but it lacks the beginning catch phrase.

The other part zur Lage der Nation refers to the traditional State of the Union Address which is in German

Ansprache/Rede zur Lage der Union/Nation

So a literal translation is

Laughing and Power Stories on the State of the Nation.

Of course most of the time there is no need for a literal translation, but one which expresses the originals meaning. So ... maybe you can think of another children TV show's catch phrase, e.g. Sesame Street, which fits. If so, use this one instead.

| improve this answer | |

This is just a little pun referring to the famous Sendung mit der Maus.

That TV-Show always meant to tell

Lach- und Sachgeschichten

It's probably untranslatable without having that background, which is unlikely to be understandable in any other country than Germany.

| improve this answer | |
  • How would you translate the second part of the sentence? zur Lage der Nation – dmigo Oct 22 '19 at 11:39
    @dmigo As usual: On the state of the nation – πάντα ῥεῖ Oct 22 '19 at 11:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.