Which sentence is correct and why?

Der Totale Verteidigung Tag wird hier jedes Jahr gedacht.

Dem Totale Verteidigung Tag wird hier jedes Jahr gedacht.

I initially wrote "Der Tag... wird gedacht", but was told that I should use "Dem Tag ...".

Thanks.

Do you have a reason why you think one of those sentences is correct? – RalfFriedl Oct 31 '19 at 6:07
    What is the sentence supposed to mean? Is the verb denken or gedenken? – Carsten S Oct 31 '19 at 6:32
    In English, the verb is "commemorate". I am not sure which verb should be used in German. – Mosg Oct 31 '19 at 6:37
    Is this about en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_defence#Total_Defence_Day ? Then if I understand correctly, on the Total Defence Day, the surrender of the British to the Japanese is commemorated (and not the Total Defence Day itself), and the German sentence would have to be entirely different. – Raketenolli Oct 31 '19 at 7:51
  • As a German my first association with "Totale(r) ...." is the "Totaler Krieg" proclaimed in Nazi Deutschland. de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totaler_Krieg.I would avoid using a phrase with "Totale(r) ..." in German, because for me it always caries a negative feeling. – Iris Oct 31 '19 at 9:55

Es wird gedacht des Tages. The verb "gedenken" is used with Genitiv.

PS. Whatever "der totale Verteidigung Tag" should mean, this is not a correct German.

How about "Tag der totalen verteidigung" ? – Mosg Oct 31 '19 at 6:47

Following your comment, it should be

Am »Tag der totalen Verteidigung« [or »Tag der Gesamtverteidigung«] wird der Kapitulation der Briten gegenüber den Japanern gedacht.

(Other German native speakers please advise on the preposition that needs to follow Kapitulation ...)

I'd suggest vor as preposition, since it's vor jemandem/etwas kapitulieren. See also the 3rd entry in the paragraph Charakteristische Wortkombinationen at Wiktionary – Arsak Oct 31 '19 at 18:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.