As far as I know conjugated separable verbs standing by themselves place the separable particle at the end of the sentence. I got the following sentences from my textbook:

Hört sofort mit eurem Geschrei auf!

Hör auf mich zu schlagen!

why is the particle auf from the verb aufhören not at the end in the second sentence ?

Mind the correct punctation:

Hört sofort mit eurem Geschrei auf!

Hör auf, mich zu schlagen!

The second example is a main clause, followed by an infinitive clause.

Hör mich zu schlagen auf!

is also possible but an unusual way to put it.

|improve this answer|||||
  • There is no comma in my texbook. The english traslation would me " Stop beating me". The context is two kids fighting. – juan carlos vega oliver Nov 2 '19 at 9:03
    @juancarlosvegaoliver If I remember correctly, the comma there was mandatory before the 1996 spelling reform, but might be optional since then. – Arsak Nov 2 '19 at 10:31
    @juancarlosvegaoliver the comma is not mandatory, it is optional IIRC, but it is extremely helpful for German learners, so I would use it. – Dan Nov 2 '19 at 13:45
  • the comma is facultative and even in cases where it isn't, it is "sofern ein einfacher Infinitiv mit zu (ohne weitere Wörter oder Satzteile) vorliegt und keine Missverständnisse entstehen können <§ 75 E1>." Now, if the reflexive pronoun is parsed as part of the Verbal P,hrase then the infinitive is "einfach", though the VP isn't. Which overall calls into question whether there is a full clause. "Hört sofort auf mit eurem Geschrei" doesn't need a comma either. – vectory Nov 3 '19 at 9:36

It has to do with the infinitive object of the prefix verb, i.e. "Hör auf mit was? Zu schreien!". Further examplex:

Ich habe vor, abzureisen.

"Ich habe abzureisen vor" is possible but pretty awkward.

Another example of such a behavior of separated verbs is prepositional object of a verb, e.g. "Hör auf mit dem Geschrei" would be more idiomatic than "Hör mit dem Geschrei auf", but both are possible. A somwhat similar example: "pass auf auf dich" and "pass auf dich auf" (en. "take care").

|improve this answer|||||
  • Are "vor" and "auf" marking the object, i.e. "Die Infinitivgruppe wird mit einem hinweisenden Wort angekündigt oder wieder aufgenommen <§ 75 (3)>."? – vectory Nov 3 '19 at 9:39
  • Sure, but I don't think its that simple. It is not the case where there are no prepositions involved in the object, e.g. "Schnallen Sie Ihr Kind an". Oder: Ich lade meine Dateien hoch. "Ich lade hoch(,) meine Dateien" ist auch möglich, aber irgendwie zu umgangssprachlich und locker. – Dan Nov 3 '19 at 14:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.