But enough about me, how have you been?

How to translate "enough about me" in the above context?

genug über mich

or

genug von mir

?

For the close voters, I consider this question on-topic. It's precise, short and potentially useful to others. "Translation requests to German should be of general interest and should provide sufficient context." – infinitezero Nov 3 '19 at 21:22

I'm afraid, that both proposal are bordering to a word-by-word translation, which don't equally well work in German.

I consider as typical translation:

Jetzt habe ich aber genug von mir erzählt, wie geht es Dir?

Without that additional context genug von mir could also mean, that it is now time to pass over to a different speaker, so genug über mich seems a better approach. The first match in Google Books seems to support this.

| improve this answer | |
    As German native speaker, the phrase "Soweit zu mir,..." can also be used. – Mark Lösche Nov 4 '19 at 14:47
  • As a side note, "genug von mir" might come across more negatively than intended. It might be understood as a shorter form of "Du hast genug von mir", "You're fed up with me". So it might get a vibe of "enough about me already". – Henning Kockerbeck Nov 4 '19 at 15:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.