The newsreader on Hessenschau today said at the very end of the 20 November 19:30–20:00 broadcast, when she was announcing the rest of the programme at around 19:59:

Presenter A: Und wir sehen uns um 22:15 wieder.

Presenter B: Nach der Tagesschau gibts aber erst mal MEX. Ich bin heute Abend wieder das doppelte Lottchen im HR. Ich hoffe doch sehr Sie bleiben dran. Schönen Abend.

I know Das doppelte Lottchen as a children's book by Erich Kästner, in which twin kids for fun take each others position.

I don't know any metaphorical meaning. What does the newsreader mean here?

• I appreciate the video link, but could you tell us at what time the utterance occurs? I checked the end and it wasn't there. – David Vogt Nov 20 '19 at 19:29
  • @DavidVogt Looks like todays broadcast isn't online yet. It's still in the livestream, at the time of writing at -35:00 but that will of course change :-/ Anyway, I added the full context and clarified the link to the livestream. – gerrit Nov 20 '19 at 19:33
    I would assume she is speaking about the situation that she appears in two different broadcasts simultanously - one prerecorded and one live. And on HR it is the tv station she is currently broadcasting that's why she says "ich hoffe Sie bleiben dran". It is not necessarily live on HR. – Shegit Brahm Nov 21 '19 at 13:22

Und wir sehen uns um 22:15 wieder. Nach dem Tagesschau gibts aber erst mal MEX. Ich bin heute Abend wieder das doppelte Lottchen im HR.

She probably meant the repetition of her appearing later in the programme.

It's quite unlikely that she's got a twin to appear.

• Is that a normal use of this phrase or is she saying something non-standard? – gerrit Nov 20 '19 at 19:36
    @gerrit More or less a joke probably, not standard. – πάντα ῥεῖ Nov 20 '19 at 19:37
  • @gerrit - But it's not the first time I heard it. – mic Nov 21 '19 at 11:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.