I think it's a verb, but what's the purpose of using ‘’bescheren’’ here? Its meaning always relates to giving gifts. I'm really confused.

One more question: ‘’darin’’ means in this text "like in the school", right?

Das Schulgeld sorgte für Einnahmen, der Verkauf von Obst, Gemüse, Blumen bescherte Umsatz und sollte die Junggärtnerinnen überdies darin schulen, nicht nach dem Einpflanzen mit dem Denken aufzuhören.

In this case bescheren can best be translated into English by to yield.
If bescheren or the noun Bescherung is used in a positve way of giving, it is most of the time related to Christmas. But it can also be used in a negative way, using gift ironically like in Da haben wir die Bescherung which means what a mess.

The darin refers to the relative clause following - they should be trained in not stopping to think after planting.

|improve this answer|||||
  • +1. Nicht nach dem Einpflanzen mit dem Denken aufzuhören is an infinitival construction, though, not a relative clause. – johnl Nov 26 '19 at 23:11
    I agree with the noun "Bescherung" referring to Christmas most of the time (even when used ironically?) but I don't think that's true for the verb as well. The example in the question illustrates that it can be used more broadly. – Thomas Nov 27 '19 at 6:41
  • It may well be a good idea if the gardeners stop to think after planting, but less so if they stop thinking. The former is something like anhalten, um zu denken or maybe innehalten, whereas the latter is mit dem Denken aufhören. – loris Nov 27 '19 at 9:45
  • can one say the clause is partitive, and adverbial at that? A mere beigeordneter Hauptsatz is not the optimal, but the easiest solution, no question there. Although, Der Verkauf bescherte Umsatz sollte would be odd style (usual in e.g. das Wetter bedingte Chaos) and transposed, but it might show the underlying idea. bescherte can be understood as "fixed" perhaps, depending on etymology, if Geschir (of horses etc) is related. Bescherung could rather be understood as decision (between good and naughty) I'm not sure; Anyhow it undoubtedly influenced this usage of "give", no contest. – vectory Nov 29 '19 at 9:07

"bescherte" is a verb in this sentence, your assumption was right. As Volker Landgraf said, mostly "bescheren" is used in context with Christmas, but you can also use it when something has been produced by an action (a nice example I found: Seine Marijuanasucht bescherte ihm Probleme mit der Polizei - His marijuana addiction brought him trouble with the police), or when someone gives/gifts something to somebody else. When used in a positive context, like the sentence you posted, it actually is meant to be positive. In a negative context, like the marijuana example, it comes with quite the sarcastic undertone.

"darin" - I believe that one point of misunderstanding has not been addressed: I believe that you translate "schulen" in this sentence as the noun "schools". If I interpret the last part of your question correctly, that is. It does mean "to school/teach someone in something" though. Capital letters are quite critical in the German language ;) So "darin" is indeed a reference to what the garderners are schooled in, i.e. not stopping to think after the planting is done.

By the way, there is this amazing online dictionary I'd like to tell you about: https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/ It comes with short examples and a ton of links to forum discussions for most words that are difficult, like "bescheren".

Hope I did everything right, that's my first answer on here!

The word 'bescherte' is a verb. It is the time form 'Präteritum' of the verb 'bescheren', which means something like 'grant' or 'bestow' in this context.

https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/bescheren_beschenken_austeilen

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.